Help setting up leupold MK4 6.5-20

phpd1295

I just received my scope and I am trying to set it up. The optics are clear and sharp. At close range and low power everything is in crisp focus. When I go to high 20X and look at a tree out about 1,00yds it is blurry. I have 20/20 vision but use reading classes to read up close. The manual says to turn the rear eye piece to focus the reticle but it does not tell you how to focus the scope at long ranges. The adjustment on the side is for parallax not focus right? When I adjust the parallax knob it kind of sharpens up the image but it isn't in sharp focus. Do I crank the scope up to 20X and look at a distant object and turn the rear objective until it is in focus? How do the Leupold experts set up their scopes? gun)
Thanks for any help you can give.

You're doing it right. Adjust the diopter to bring the reticle into focus. Best done while looking at a white wall or the sky.

Use the side ficus to correct for parallax. It also adjusts target focus at the same time. It is set correctly when moving your heads left and right does not cause the reticle to shift on the target.

If the target is still blurry atmospheric turbulence could be the cause. Turbulence will blur the target if it is near ground. View the target using a spotting scope - the target should look similar.

When I opened the box and looked at the scope I noticed that the rear objective was almost all the way screwed in. Can anyone tell me on average they have to turn out the rear objective to compensate for 45 year old eyes? I am not sure about what I am doing and I don't want to mess anything up. How far back can you twist the rear objective out?

Find a wall less than 25 yards with a picture or writting on it. Screw the adjustment all the way out. On low power with parallax/focus all the way down as you're at close range turn, in 1/2 turn increments until crosshairs are sharp. Lock it down with lock ring and you are done. The key is sharp crosshairs.

Last thing to do: once you think you have it focused, go have a cup of joe or something so your eyes can relax. Then go back and take a quick peek to see if it is really in focus. It will surprise you how fast your eye wants to adjust to make it pretty for you.

Thanks everyone for all your advise. I've always believed in asking for help and taking advantage of others experience. Thanks again for saving me hours of trial and error. I just mailed off the scope to my gunsmith to put on my rifle build to check for fit and clearance. As soon as I get it back I will work on getting it set up. This is my first long range scope I have ever purchased and it looks like a telescope compared to what I am used to. My previous most expensive scope was a 3-9X40mm Nikon and it was about a quarter the price of this scope. I can already tell the difference even with the scope not correctly adjusted. It is a lot brighter and the light gathering is tons better. I can't wait to get some time behind this scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts