Mk4 8.5-25 or 6.5-20 for .300rum ??

Dirknar

I just bought a .300 rum sendero. I really like Leupold Mk4 scopes with the TMR ret. I own the 4.5-14 on a tac-.308 now but I am trying to decide what scope for the rum. The rum will be used for long range target and hunting.. I hope to try my skills out to at least 1400yrds with it with metal and with hunting who knows?? maybe out to a 1k??.. thats why Im leaning towards the 8.5-25.

is the 8.5 too much scope? or would the 6.5-20 be better? the lowest powers arent that much different anyways..

I shoot 1k with my 4.5-14 and it works but I can deffinatly say that more mag would be nice.

maybe someone with some more experience can chime in.

I have and use both.
All depends on if the 8x is to much X's for you at close range.
Also if it is a SFP scope you have to have it the highest power for the subtensions to be correct (Smaller FOV-could be a disadvantage when hunting at shorter or mid-ranges).
If it is a FFP it does not matter.
I would go with a 8.5-25 if it was me, but I am used to higher X's-Everyone is different.

I SHOT A 300RUM AND I HAVE A 6.5 -20-50 I HAVE SHOT, WELL A LITTLE PAST 1200 YRDS THAT'S AS FAR AS MY RANGE FINDER WILL RANGE. I ALSO HUNT WITH THIS SCOPE/RIFLE IN THE THICK BRUSH . AS FOR LONG RANGE IT WILL WORK . PROBABLY NOT AS WELL AS THE 8.5 . IN THE WOODS I BELIEVE THE 8.5 WOULD BE TO MUCH ON THE LOWEST SETTING ESPECIALLY IF YOU HUNT IN THICK WOODED AREAS. I THINK THE 6.5 WOULD BE THE BEST ALL AROUND SCOPE JUST MY OPINIONgun)

thanks for the advice.. ya thats what I was worried about is the 8.5 being too much in the woods.. but so is 6.5 imo.. but this rifle will be used more just out plinking targets over a long nice field on top of a hill somwhere.. Hopefully.. Im leaning more towards the 8.5-25

Well I went back on what I said above.. I bought the 6.5-20.. I just couldnt deal with the 8.5 lowest power.. hell 6.5x is pushing it in the woods..

thanks Ernie. Yep thats what I started thinking too.. Heck when its hot out and your laying in a feild, the mirage is so bad I've had to turn down my 14.5x to about 10x.. so I thought the 25 would really be bad in a mirage.. It might be nice for reading the wind in the mirage though?

Hey Ernie and Jeremy, Awesome signatures.. Jesus is Alive.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts