Leupold MK4 4-14x or 6-20x

remingtonman_25_06

I'm in the market for a new Leupold MK4. I've always preferred the 20x for targets and hunting coyotes, antelope, deer, elk, and bear. I shoot out to 1400 yards pretty regularly. Midway has the MK4 4-14x on sale for $700 right now. Do you think that's enough magnification out to 1K, or even out to 1400 yards? Where I hunt, the shots are usually 300+ but you do have the occasional 50-100 yard shot that jumps out of the brush/timber. I'm torn between the two right now. My instinct says to go with the 20x, but I see lot of guys shooting 1K or 1200 with the 14x. What you guys think? 4-14x or 6-20x for an all around target/hunting scope? It will be going on either my 240 WBY or 280 Rem. I have the 8-25x on my 7-300 win mag and it's a great scope, but I dont think I want that high of power on either of these 2 rifles. The eye box isnt very forgiving on it when you're at 25x. If your head/cheek weld isnt just right, you see a bit of black. And it's not the best for throwing up on something that jumps up at 50-100 yards at 9x.

I have three 6.5-20 scopes and three 4.5-14 scopes they are both great scopes and both good out to 1000yds and beyond. Actually, my longest kill shot ever was with a 6.5x47 lapua at 980yds on a whitetail doe. I was using the 4.6-14x50 vx3i with the windplex reticle. It worked great but the deer was pretty small in the scope. I'd go with the 6.5-20 if you are going to be shooting beyond 300 yds most of the time. The 4.5-14x40 is a really light and compact scope if that's what you want. In my opinion it is one of the best scopes made considering the balance of function, light weight and price. If you don't care about the weight I like a little more magnification.

Attachments

• 9EDB378C-9BFB-41CC-B5E1-A4571990E20C.jpeg
    9EDB378C-9BFB-41CC-B5E1-A4571990E20C.jpeg
    926.7 KB · Views: 150
Nice! Honestly I've killed probably 90% of my animals between 300 and 800 yards. Furthest was a bull elk at 1125. I live in EO and you can shoot for miles out here...It is very open desert country, and the elk country we hunt is very large canyons. Kinda why I'm leaning towards the 20x. 6x is still low enough to throw up on a buck at 50 or 100 yards, and the eyebox isnt horrible. On the other hand, I can put spikes on elk at 1K on 20x and not have to carry my spotting scope with me. My personal limit is 1200 on elk and 1000 for deer, in the best conditions. Anything past 1200 is just banging steel for fun. I think I know what route I'm going to go, but I'd still like to hear from a few more guys before I make my final decision.

Agree with timnterra. 14x will get you too 1000 and a bit beyond. But beyond 300-500 yards, a coyote is a relatively small target. With practice, 6x is doable at close range.

It will be going on either my 240 WBY or 280 Rem. I have the 8-25x on my 7-300 win mag and it's a great scope, but I dont think I want that high of power on either of these 2 rifles. The eye box isnt very forgiving on it when you're at 25x. If your head/cheek weld isnt just right, you see a bit of black. And it's not the best for throwing up on something that jumps up at 50-100 yards at 9x.

This boils down to personal choice/intended purpose and the shooter's "actual" quality of vision. My longest elk harvest thus far at 931Y was with a Leupold 4.5-14X. I think you answered your own question.

I am not a magnification junky by any means. But yeah difference in 14x and 20x lets you tell the difference in a 130 class and a 150 class white tail at 800 yards. If that's worth anything to you then consider it. Personally my 300-1400 yard rifle has a 3-18 on it. So right in between your two choices.

I am not a magnification junky by any means. But yeah difference in 14x and 20x lets you tell the difference in a 130 class and a 150 class white tail at 800 yards. If that's worth anything to you then consider it. Personally my 300-1400 yard rifle has a 3-18 on it. So right in between your two choices.

A compromise is an excellent option. I too have a few 3-18s and like you, it has served me well. I also have 2.5-20 but have not had a chance of trying it out yet.

I guess I can always take my 8-25x MK4 out and set it on 14x and see how it does and looks at 1K and 1200. I've used the 6-18x and 6-20x Leupolds for almost 20 years and I've always found myself on the top end 90% of the time. Thanks for the insight guys!

I have always preferred a max power of 20X over 14X. Seems like I am always playing around developing loads and at 300 yards I can spot .22 bullet holes in white paper with a 20X. I also shoot at tiny rodents out there and 20X helps. My last scope buy was a Leupold 4.5-14X50 LRP 2nd FP, MOA reticle. It is a good tough scope, not as bulky as my 6.5-20X50 VX3 but it seems like I am always wanting more magnification. I put the 4.5-14X50 LRP on my 6.5X47 L shorty rifle which rides with me on trips where we can shoot on public land (B Land M) at steel; I like the reticle and at 14X the field of view is wide enough to pick up on close range targets, wide exit pupil also, and the 2nd FP MOA graduations set for 14X, help for long range shooting.

I'm in the market for a new Leupold MK4. I've always preferred the 20x for targets and hunting coyotes, antelope, deer, elk, and bear. I shoot out to 1400 yards pretty regularly. Midway has the MK4 4-14x on sale for $700 right now. Do you think that's enough magnification out to 1K, or even out to 1400 yards? Where I hunt, the shots are usually 300+ but you do have the occasional 50-100 yard shot that jumps out of the brush/timber. I'm torn between the two right now. My instinct says to go with the 20x, but I see lot of guys shooting 1K or 1200 with the 14x. What you guys think? 4-14x or 6-20x for an all around target/hunting scope? It will be going on either my 240 WBY or 280 Rem. I have the 8-25x on my 7-300 win mag and it's a great scope, but I dont think I want that high of power on either of these 2 rifles. The eye box isnt very forgiving on it when you're at 25x. If your head/cheek weld isnt just right, you see a bit of black. And it's not the best for throwing up on something that jumps up at 50-100 yards at 9x.
US military has typically viewed magnification as 1x for every hundred yard/meters.......10x for 1000yds/meters. But that is for young eyes also. You can always dial down, but not up beyond what the max is. Your Eye Mileage May Vary...... I have several Mark 4s in 4.5-14, 6.5-20, and 8.5-25 all 50mm.....in LRT (SFP) and ELR (FFP)....with and without Barrett BORS ballistic system. They always perform well. Good glass and repeatability, which is more important. These scopes have served well for maybe 50 years for civilian and military applications, and are sort of a cult attraction now. But, they are OLD technology and value. There are much better scopes in features for what you pay now at even reduced prices. Mark 4s are only 3x magnification range versus 4x, 5x, 6x, 8x in current scope offerings. Mark 4 has no zero stop......you gotta use shims.....not convenient. Only some versions are illuminated with the illumination knob resembling a growth on the scope tube ocular end at 10 o'clock.....medication won't cure that lump. Only 50mm objectives. Most are mixed turret/reticle Mil/MOA....really outdated...what the Hell was Leupold.....and the military...... NOT thinking?!?!?!?! We all know about the military thinking, but Leupold....REALLY???? Some really late models are MOA/MOA MIL/MIL with Christmas reticles as in TS-60 in FFP.....haven't seen one for sale for months now. If you gotta have one as a cult following, go ahead join my MeToo Mark 4 movement. If you want the most bang for your buck, shop elsewhere.......Sig Tango4, Tango6 and several Vortex models will put the featureless Mark 4 to shame today......and save you money. Saying that with well over three dozen Mark 4s in my safes. I even "culted up" some more and bought several more Mark 4s even after Leupold stopped civilian availability beyond lingering models in the distribution chain. One makes their choice and pays their money.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.