Leupold AR 3-9 Mil-Dot URGENT QUESTION!!!

6.5X55SE

Would it be really dumb to put this scope on another rifle and caliber other than an AR in 5.56?? I know it has the BD reticle for a 55 bullet, but if it has a mil-dot reticle so couldn't I just use that and ignore the BD compensator? I just like the features of the scope and the price. Any opinions? Thanks so much!

The way I see it the scope would work you could just use the mil dot reticle and go from there. It does not have a DB reticle it has a standard mil dot, it does have a BD turret you could just chart the numbers for your loads drop. I would contact leupold and see if you can get a standard MOA turret made that would solve that problem
the one thing I dont like is it only has 55 moa of adjustment in it.
that will eally limit you
retiredcpo

I would probably just put this on my CZ 550 6.5X55 and maybe switch it to a Savage Mk 2 .22lr sometimes. So, I wouldn't be doing any extreme long range shooting.

Then I say it would work just fine
I would still get ahold of leupold I would guess you could get a standard moa turret for less then 100 bucks I think the cds turrrets run around 80 bucks
retiredcpo

Thanks.....Another reason that I chose this scope is that I can get it for free through work. Another option I can get as well is the Leupold 56780 3-9x40 with a duplex reticle, but I figured the mil-dot on the AR scope would be nice, plus I guess they pass the same tests that the mk 4 has to go through.

Last edited:
Just about any ballistics program has an option for zeroing the mil-dot reticle. Run the #'s on your rig/load,run the ballistics program, test it, troubleshoot if necessary, make a dope sticker, put it in a Butler Creek scope cap cover, and go hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.