Mil Dot Question...

novaman64

I have a 4.5-14x40 Nikon Buckmaster Mil Dot scope. My question has to do with the Mil Dots. I have looked through the owners manual and cant seem to find it, but I was wondering if anybody could tell me at what magnification are the dots are measured.

To better explain myself... Lets just say, for example, I am at the range shooting at 200 yards, which my rifle is zerod at, and I want to shoot a target at 300 yards, based on my bullets ballistics I know its going to be -6.15" lower if I were to put my cross hairs rt on the target, in this case according to Pejsa's calc the difference is 4.1 MOA, or a little over 4 dots. But is that at 14x magnificationn, or 10x or 4x or what????

This is where the catalogs pay dividends. On pg. 51 of the '09 Nikon catalog it gives all the subtensions u would ever need to know with that reticle. It gives the subtensions at lowest power calibrated power and the highest power.

The mil-cald' power for that optic is 12 (should say so on the power ring actually). Now at 14x the subtension (measurement between dots) is 2.98 MOA. That's the power i'd use, that way u have a sort of zero stop on the power ring and u don't even have to look at it.

If u have 6.15 inches of drop @ 300 yds. that's only 1.96 MOA (6.15 / 3 / 1.0472). So to get your zero for 300 yds. just divide 1.96 by the 14x mil-dot subtension of 2.98, and u get .7 of a "mil". See how it works?

Something's not right about Pejsa's calculation. Here's the conversions u r working with--

1) mil-dot dot to dot subtension = 3.6 inch per hundred yds. (IPHY) (dot diameter=0.72 IPHY)

2) New mil-dot d-d subtensions @ 14x = 3.12 IPHY (dot diameter=0.61 IPHY)

3) 1 MOA = 1.0472 IPHY

BTW, while u're at the range, might be a good idea to check these measurements with a target, yardstick, whatever.

Last edited:
Got it, thanks for the explanation. Definitely cleared things up for me. And I did plan on checking it at the range, I was bored at work and was sucking thinking on this though...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.