Leupold aftermarket reticle knobs

Greg Duerr

Since im new to all of this help me understand the concept of Long Range Reticle adjustment Knobs. I own a Leupold Var 3 4.5-14 x40 scope The reticle knobs are covered and have a 1/4 adjustment. I see that long range rifles often have scopes that have tall turrent reticle adjustments is that somting you order or is that an after market. Not sure of the terminology but what are turrents? Can I turn my Leupold into a long range scope ? Or would it be better to start with an other scope that is built for Long Range
What do you prefer adjusting range with elevation turrents or reticles like the Holland advanced reticle technology......................

some what confused

You never adjust the reticle, you adjust the image elevation and windage via their respective turrets. The reticle is the superimposed cross lines, or BDC holdovers or hash marks you see when you look into the ocular.

If you scope don't have adjustable parallelax (turret on the left side) or in the case of an AO (adjustable Objective) scope, on the front bell, might as well buy a scope with adjustable parallelax because industry standard on fixed scopes is 100 yards. That don't work.

Finally, it's preferrrable to have it on the left side versus out front because it's handy to adjust whereas out front is a PITA.

I know, I have an older Leupy Boone and Crockett reticle thats an AO. It's a nice. clear long range scope but a royal PITA to dial parallelax on.

Thanks this is all new language to me........................that makes sence.

What would be a quality scope that meant what you describe?

I always wondered if the exposed Turrents on the NF scopes are they weather proof can you get them wet..................

NF is sealed and has parallax as well as illumination if you want. There may one or two guys that bash NF but you will get a 99.9% endorsement for them around here.

I went with Kenton on the same scope you have. Send them your scope with all the required info. (velocity, temp. etc. etc.). They do an excellent job. Works perfect. Remember then your scope will be sighted in for one particular load. But, if you should want to get rid of the elevation turret later on you just take it off and your scope is back to original. :)

So I skoot a .243AI 105 Berger at 3185 I live and hunt at about 5000 ft elevation

What happens if I want to hunt at 8000 ft................I have no intention of changing my load ever .................but what about elevation changes or humidity changes.........................?

So they turrents that are calibrated for one load will get you ball park at the given environment you have them made for. If you happen to do anything to change muzzle velocity that turrent will be wrong, how much wrong you are willing to live with. The environment change will also matter but little changes are not as important. What you are shooting, where you are hunting/practicing and what is your acceptable margin of error? Four inches of error on a elk is nothing, on a PD you will have a clean miss.

I help someone setup a 300 RUM for elk out to 600 with a turrent. He hunts one specific area and we set it up for average temp during hunting season. We used chrono numbers shot at that temp range. I loaded him 300 rounds of ammo that are as close to the same as possible. I would bet that will last him at least 10 years of hunting.

I prefer to just use a ballistic program and then dial the "clicks" for that specific situation.

A ballistic program sound like the sain thing to do..............buying a turrent for a certain elevation temp sound like the isane thing to do............

So one day your hunting and the temp is 45 degrees two days later it drops to -10 then your screwed.

so does temp affect ballistic's also. If you leave with a program for the elevation of the area you will be hunting in and the expected temp and then the temp drops 40 degrees ...............is that going to be a big thing?

Powders have come a long ways and choosing one that is as temp stable as possible is Paramount. But temp changes will change point of impact regardless because along with temp change you have other atmospheric changes well. Really the best way to know what your rifle and load will do during temp and atmospheric changes is to shoot and practice in all conditions and keep a log book. I keep a log and record date, time of day, temp and wind speed and direction. Get to know your rifle and what it does and you will be fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.