Leupold M2 or M3 knobs?

cmfi3

Hello, I purchased a Leupold VX III 4.5-14x40 LR w/ TMR reticle for my 30-378 Wby. When I first set up the rifle with the scope w/ reticle I thought it would be perfect for what I wanted to do but after load development and some playing around at 600-800 yds I want more range with more precision. (I thought it would be plenty of range, but after some playing around im now addicted) But, I don't like the target knobs or the M1 knobs, they seem to tall for me, but the M2 or the M3 knobs seem perfect, what is the difference between the two? (they look the same to me) and any advice on them from someone that uses them would be appreciated. What are the pro's and con's of these style of knobs.
Im assuming leupolds custom shop can install these on my scope. Thanks

If you are wanting more precision, then the M1's would be better since they are 1/4 MOA adjustments. If you want to get out to distance faster, with less turning of the knobs, then either M2 or M3 knobs. I prefer the M3 knobs and have two scopes with these, a 3.5-10X40 and 6.5-20X50 I just purchased from the custom shop a couple months ago. Tac has it mostly correct on adjustments. M1 is 1/4 MOA, M2 is 1/2 MOA for both elevation and windage, and the M3 knobs have 1MOA elevation and 1/2 MOA windage. Hope that helps.

Geb

The m3 knobs are the fastest, but precision suffers. Each click on the knob is 10 inches at 1000 yards. That's alot. Also, sometimes it is difficult to get a 100 yard zero that is dead nuts on the bullseye. I like the M2 knob as the best compromise of the three.

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.