New Leupold Finger Knobs

DougH9

I got a new 3.5x10 Leupy with the finger adjustable knobs...and am very disapointed with it. They were not thinking of the LR shooter in mind when they designed it. The knob cannot be moved on the spindle. The zero adjust wanders around at random, i.e. it is not at the back. You have to search all over for you elevation & windage zero's, then squint at the poorly labeled knobs to make changes. I was WAY faster and more accurate, with the old system and a cartridge case. And, the **** knobs are made of plastic, so they cannot be remarked to work better. I hope that someone comes out with some aftermarket knobs for these scopes.

Doesn't it have a little set screw that you loosen with a hex wrench or something.

What I have done is to take some white fingernail polish and paint over all of the markings until I have a nice smooth base of white. Then I will mark on the white with a permanent ink pen what ever settings I happen to want. After I get the markings on it I will cover that with clear fingernail polish.

It will resist a lot of exposure to the elements and it is removable with fingernail polish remover.

The only problem is my wife and daughter keep borrowing my fingernail polish so I have a hard time keeping it handy.

Bob,

The target & tactical scopes use the knobs set with screws (hence the allen key). This is the standard vx3 hunting scope.

The knob is made of nylon...I do not know if nail polish will adhere very well (but thanks for the idea).

I will contact Kenton and see if they can help me (or I'll sell the blasted thing!)

DougH9,
You're right! Leupold was not thinking of LR shooters when they designed the VXIII HUNTING scopes! If you want a LR scope, get a Mark 4 with M1 knobs! Sheesh!

Doug,

You are correct they were not worried about the LRH guys. However to make the best of a bad setup, I believe that if I recall correctly the flat bezel flat below the knob has a split and maybe slid around to line up with the zero on the knob for your zero location. It is not great but better than nothing.

Shawn,
Yes there is a zero indicator that can be moved around, but the problem is that it ends up in a random location, and changes with loads. So, you cannot look down quickly and see where you are at. You have to search for your zero, and examine the dial see where you are at. And, the dial is marked on the top, but not on the sides, so you have to approximate where you are (ie not as precision as the old system). My first time out at 600 yards, it hit the berm because I dialed in 6 mins instead of 9 (because of the "wandering zero, you can't tell the difference!)

I do not want tall target knobs because this is a backpacking carry rifle, and the knobs get in the way.

All they needed to do was make a knob out of aluminum, and lock it to the spindle with allen screws. I have a feeling that the spindle is serated so they can just press on the plastic knob, so an aftermarket cap will not be do-able. I will call the custom shop and see what they say.

Still, I just can't belive they did this. So simple to do it right, and yet they blundered it.

Yeah, they're OK for screwing around at the range for a little while, but that's it. I wouldn't rely upon them in a hunting situation.

I tried, but was told the M2 turrets (short like you want) can't be retrofitted any time soon. M3's probably never. I just recently heard that Leupold won't install the M1's in a non-tactical (but Premier used to on any 30mm) which (if the M1 thing is legit) leaves you with their tall skinny target turrets.

I did find a solution, however. I bought an IOR. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

I talked to a guy at the Leupold custom shop; he said that if you pop the knob off, it will have to be replaced. He said that underneath, it looks like the old coin slot...ie the knob is the male part.

I told him of my concerns, and he was very attentive. He said that they have had numerous complaints about this, and that they have the means to rectify it (a short target turret), but that they have conflicting priorities. He said that feedback like this helps get priorities set.

So, if you guys would like to see a short target turret for the 1" tube VX3 scopes, please contact the custom shop at 503-526-1400 and give them your 2 cents.

I will still persue an aftermarket alternative in the meantime.

Thank you, Doug

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.