Leupold 8.5x25 long range vs. Nightforce 12x42 NXS

halvey

Ok, I'm the first to admit I hate the "vs." posts and I'm comparing a a scope that costs twice the other. But...

I already have a Leupold Leupold 8.5x25 long range on my .223 and I love it. I like the clarity over all ranges of magnification especially. But, I was thinking of spending the extra bucks on the Nightforce. Is the Nightforce glass a lot better than the Leupold? Or is it fairly similiar?

The range I am at only goes out to 300 yards. But I will be joining a range that goes out to 600 next spring. This will be atop my Remingon 700 VLS .308 that I have found to be very accurate. 99% of shooting will be done at paper of know distances. But, I will also use the gun for the longer range varmint shooting occasionally.

I tried a Sightron 6x24 and at 24x, found I like the Leupold a lot more - a lot. I hate buying something then upgrading later; but also don't want to waste extra money if I don't have to.

Any comments are appreicated.

If for hunting/varmint I'd stick with a leupold. A pound less, lower profile, cheaper, and more adjustment than the 12x42.

Halvey I have a 8x25x50 longrange leupold and really like it and leupold was the only scope I would have until I bought a nightforce scope it was the 5.5x22x56 nxs and it make the 8x25x50 look like a cheap scope with clairty and bightness.

I've got both scopes mounted on heavy varmint rigs. I own many Leupold scopes and love them all, but , there just ain't nothing like a Nightforce. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I much prefer my 12x42 NF over the 8.5x25 Leupold and it has nothing to do with the added magnification. I'd put a low power variable Nightforce on your rifle and you'd have the best of both worlds. They do make NF scopes without the 56mm objective lens which isn't necessary on most hunting rifles (IMO).

VH

Halvey,

I to used to have only Leupold scopes on my rifles. Then I got my first NF. I now have a NF on any of my serious rifles. If you like the 8.5-25 Leupold you might try the 5.5-22x 50mm, NXS I am a big fan of the NPR2 reticule. The only draw back is, if you get one you will have to have more. Your Leupolds will get you by but you'll wish they all had NF.

Thanks for all the feedback. There is a store about 1.5 hours from me that has NF scopes I can look at, but in a bright store at 50 yards, even the cheapee scopes can look good.

I guess I figured if I am spending the $$, I may as well go with the 12x42. The price between that one and the 8 or 5.5 isn't too far off!

Well, I think I will have to save up some more, or if I can get lucky and find a used one that'd be nice!

How far will you want to shoot with it?? most LRT leups will have about TWICE the adjustment of the 12-42 NF's

JB

Mostly out to 600. But there is a 1000 yard range a couple hours from me I will be frequenting.

Well, if the Leupold has twice the adjustments, this may make me reconsider...

Well, the nxs is rated at 45 and the LRT is rated at 65, but in my experience, leupolds ratings are fairly understated, and you should have at least 10MOA more than they say.

if you are shooting at critters to 1K, the leup will do fine. If you want to see bullet holes in paper to 600yds, get the nightforce.

JB

[ QUOTE ]
in a bright store at 50 yards, even the cheapee scopes can look good.

Not necessarily but as a general rule of thumb. Try looking from a dark place into bright light and vice versa, this will show the optics up. If it whites out its the glass that is not polished enough and or the coatings.
Every NXS tried over the years has had a milky appearance compared to the Mark 4, Vari X 3's and VX3, Meopta, cheap Niko, etc. I know quite a few shooters who have had certain Leups sold to get NF and repurchased Leupold again, one such purchaser sells them!

Probably the best place to buy a Leup VX3 8.5-25LRT is from Premier Reticles, they can install/exchange the turrets for the Mark 4 ones giving 140 MOA for an extra $75, though the standard are excellent. http://www.premierreticles.com/catalog/i...291&clist=0,47645,94251
Turrets http://www.carttonic.com/users/premier/images/M1TITS.jpg

How about the Burris Black Diamonds, certainly worth a look at and through.

These scopes really need to be mounted on something to get an accurate idea, best of luck, ignore the sales patter make your own mind up.

Trust me!! if you can afford the Nightforce get one. I own two. I have the 12x42-56 NXS on my 6.5x284 and a 5.5x22-56 NXS on my 220 swift. They are much better scopes than leupolds. I also own a leupold 4.5x14x50 M1 LongRange Target and it doesn't even compare to the workmanship and quality of the nightforce. You will be very happy if you buy the NF NXS. The only bad thing about owning NF optics, you will never be able to buy anything else other than NF because you will get spoiled buy having one. Trust me, I own two, and I am about to purchase my third for my 338 lupa Magnum Improved I am having built. Good luck!

I think the NF 8-32x56 is a much better choice than the 12x42 - but the 5.5-22X56 is probably better yet for your shooting. I own three Loopie VX-III 4.5-14x50mm LR scopes - which I still like even after buying two NF's. My NF 8-32x56 BR has 45 MOA elevation, but I use that on my 50's with 1 and 1.5 deg rails ( as in 90 MOA precant). The 1/8 MOA clicks are perfect for 2,000 yard adjustments. MY NF NXS 5.5-22X56 has 95 usable windage.
But when I grab my 270 WSM, 300 or 338 RUM, for deer/antelope/elk at less than 500 yards (typical), I prefer the smaller loopie.

BTW, I shot many rounds thru my 50 BMG with the above loopies, and they never once complained.

The NP-R2 reticle used to be the most popular (I love it), but UT Don says the new mil dot is just as popular.

Do yourself a favor and ping Don - he has good deals on NF and other scopes. I got a nice discount on one of my NF's from him as it was used - but you'd never know by looking at the scope.

Thanks for the info. Don't get me wrong, I like leupolds too! However, once I used a Nightforce there was no turning back. I am having a 338 Lupa magnum improved built for super long range varmint hunting. I will be shooting the 300 grn MK at 3000fps out of a 30" hart barrel, and I was wondering how the 338 RUM shoots. I might change to the 338 RUM if I can get some good feed back from people who know what there talking about. Many people have informed that a 338 Lupa Magnum Improved outperforms any caliber other than the 50 at long ranges. What do you think?

Kirby will be sending me my 338 RUM Allen/Lilja with a heavy 30" Lilja barrel, trigger job, Holland QD brake. He would have sent it last week but he's been too busy answering silly BC questions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I can't complain, I haven't tested the 300 & 375 RUMS he's sent me yet. I'll be posting full reports soon ( I hope )

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.