Nightforce 12x42 NXS

BigBlueDog

I am putting a Nightforce 12X42 NXS on my .308 and will be using it strictly for long range groundhog hunting. Will I need the 20 MOA bases for this or is there enough adjustment in the scope ittself? This is my first dance with a high end scope and I want to be sure I get everything I need right off the bat. Thanks for the help.

That seems like way too much magnification. I would suggest that you drop back at least one step if not 2. The 8-32X is tricky to use at best and it can be a pain at times because eyerelief and head position is very touchy at the upper end.

I use the 5.5 -22X for 1000 yard F-class and believe it is about all a hunter really needs. Given that the 308 is at best about a 1000 yard rifle even for groundhogs I do not see the need for a lot of high end power in the scope. For deer hunting, there is not much need for more than 22X.

Save a couple of hundred dollars and put it toward a good spotting scope or rangefinder.

The 308 will drop like a rock in deep water. You will need either a canted base or Burris Signature rings with inserts.

Last edited:
BB.. You took the words right out of my mouth.

BigBlueDog,

The first NXS I bought was the 12 X 42 and I put it on a dedicated long range ground hog rifle. That was a mistake... Never was able to use the upper end as mirage and head and eye position plagued me. Think about what time of the year and what time of the day those critters are hunted. Mirage is a big factor. I also have the 8 X 32 and the 5.5 X 22 all on long range varmint rifles, and the 5.5 X 22 gets the nod every time.

Like BB said, put that extra money somewhere else.

Field Of View:8.2ft @ 12x,2.4ft @ 42x
Internal Adjustment Range : 45 moa elev,35 moa wind.
BTDT and dont have it anymore, for a LOT of reasons :rolleyes:
But as long as you are set on finding out for yourself put the 20MOA bases on and have at it, just remember we told ya so :p

From a guy who sells a lot of the scopes I will agree with everyone above. The 12-42 is to much magnification for most rifles IMOP. I have a 12-42 NF on my 338AM and the only reason i am able to use that scope is because i use Ivey 150 MOA adjustable ring system, there is very little internal adjustment in the scope. I think in the end you would be alot happier with a 5.5-22 NF for a 308. You would have alot more internal adjustment and you will have a more appropriate magnification level for the round you are shooting.

Just my opinion.
steve

I'll add that you should get the 50mm version of 5.5x22.
This mounts lower, reducing level sensitivity.
Or if you care to save a few bucks buying a better scope, get a 8.5x25Mk4/M1 from Leupold custom.
It's lighter and has the superb Alumina flip-ups/filters.

I figured out the hard way GH hunting this year, that level is critical, and that it is not a natural condition to detect in the hills.
Mind your level just prior to the squeeze.
Get a 'ScopeLevel' on a lowest mounted scope.

If you already have the scope and you do not wanna sell it and buy something along the lines of what everyone above has said then YES you will need a canted rail base.

I feel like a total beginner when asking this question, however I am not what I would consider a beginning shooter...it will just be the most money I have laid out for optics and I want to make a good decision.

I have had Mueller's and Tasco's and BSA's up to this point. My Mueller and Tasco have been the best for me so far and I have two confirmed one shot groundhog kills at 480+ yards, one was 480 and one was 485.

That is using a mil dot scope, doing the math, using a mil dot master and gettin er done off of a Harris bipod, laying along the edge of a cornfield. I want to have my .308 capable farther than my 243 has done so far...and just want to get the most bang for the buck when I get a scope for my .308, one that will be around for a while and get er done.

Thanks to ya'all for your words of wisdom, I really do appreciate it. Maybe I should have done a search or something before I just blurted out a NXS Nightforce...but anyway. Thanks again guys. I appreciate your help.

The only dumb question is one that's not asked.

That's a bunch of money to lay out and not be happy.

Most of us have been there and done that, and learned from our mistakes.
That's the beauty of this place....
Type a few sentences, ask a few questions.. and get your answer.

If you go with a NightForce, buy the 5.5-22 and you'll be a happy camper.

it will either be the 5.5x22 or the 8.5-25 Loopy Mark 4 ...and with that in mind, I am open to suggestions about which one would work best for my application. Thanks

I suggest Leupold because for a walking varminter, the Mk4 is perfect.

I'm currently down to 2 NXS scopes(22x & 32x) that I use for long range competition guns. These finished guns are heavy though at ~17lbs(1KBR & a T2K).
For GH hunting I use either a Browning eclipse rebarreled in 6BR, or a Cooper M21 in 223. Both have 8.5x25Mk4 scopes with custom reticles.

You won't go wrong with either. They will both git-r-done, and are backed by excellent service if needed.
If you're like me, you walk & setup as opportunities present. You might cross fence lines, ditches, climb hills, or lay in dung if needed.
Well, forgot what I was gonna say.. **** I wish I was out there today.

You gotta get a good scope man.

This is basically the same setup I use for all my varmint rifle...not really a walking varminter.

2ndtrip4.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.