Let's talk about 2 mile cartridges

A 5280 yard shot with a 408 cheytac is hopeful at best. As it was mentioned on LRO even in the best circumstances it's going to be flying subsonic for ~2000 yards.

Maybe our 408 HE could get a 1000 yds more supersonic,

And with the bigger HSM which could be 408 as well as 416 and best bullet

designs that we know the keen ELR interest is going to bring out maybe

supersonic for whole 3 miles. The HSM case can handle high pressures.

All my wildcatting of Lake City bmg brass has never loosened a primer

pocket and I've fired 24,000 ft lb loads in the bigger bore work.

And I've fired cases with top loads 25 plus times ..

How fast would a 550gr 408 with G7 of .600 bullet have to start,

to be supersonic for 5000 yds. Ed

Ed:

As I have suggested before, go out to about a 6" long BMG and neck back down to .50. Starting out at 3.91, nominally, and .804, would provide a significant increase in case capacity - what 2 miles plus is all about (powder capacity vs bullet weight). Crank up the bullet weight to at least 1000 grs and have at it.

Hello,

Now along those lines :) .... I wonder what length we would need to shorten the 14.5x114mm brass to and start necking down to various diameter projectiles lightbulb
Or better yet maybe...utilize the 108mm length 12.7 brass instead of the 99mm length....

THEIS

Hello,

Now along those lines :) .... I wonder what length we would need to shorten the 14.5x114mm brass to and start necking down to various diameter projectiles lightbulb
Or better yet maybe...utilize the 108mm length 12.7 brass instead of the 99mm length....

THEIS
Help me get the brass. I don't know where to find them.

I've had some of 14.5 cases and 50 cal russian,

but only two of each if I remember were brass. And berdan primers a pain.

And can't afford the brass ones from those who have a few.

If you was wildcatting you'd do 14.5 brass full length, necked to 50cal

no less, but if you don't have 100 lb gun or more, couldn't compete

accuracy wise. Ed

Hello,

THEIS

12.7x108 brass are available here – http://www.cdvs.us/Components-C166.aspx What are not available, as best I know, are "original" size primers.

14.5x114 brass are available here – http://www.cdvs.us/Components-C171.aspx Again, "factory" or second-source-alternative primers are not available, as best I know. However CDVS offers this brass with a removable primer pocket. IF a good design and implemented to accept 20mm Vulcan primers, where both percussion and electric are available (same source), this is a possible. Then the issue becomes an action. Anzio is the only source that I know of that will build the appropriate bolt/action – need to call about an action vs rifle. Of course, as Jeff noted pages back, if you have the capability to design and build an action, just go for it.

There are so many options in case choice and it gets dizzying of you are willing to go the route of reshaping base and rim diameters of parent cases.

I feel like making the run down of parent cases rim size: Not a perfect list
404 Jeffery .537
500 Jeffery .579
378 Weatherby .579
Lapua .590
505 Gibbs .640
50 BMG .804
12.7x108 .858

From these we got a lot of different cases that have the potential to make the 2 mile distance.

Some of use have chosen out base case and we have our path ahead to finish designs, build rifles and make some bragging rights.

They get shortened, stretched, tapers changed shoulders added, moved changed but there is only one guy I know of who alters the case by machining down the rim and re-drawing it through a die with a mandrel or swagging it down to make a belt. I would never have thought of re-drawing finished brass without him.

Thanks Ed Hubel for your creativity and inspiration.

Please confirm. There is a 50 lb limit on Rifle+Scope. What about rest or bipod?

I would take - A 50 lb. limit on a "fire ready rifle" having the bipod included in the 50 lb. restriction.

Cheers
Oneshot

I think rules most are going with is 50 lbs

for rifle and scope, and tripods, bipods, rests, bags are

not counted in the 50, which I think is good deal.

And that along with time limits mimics what

the sniper and his helper/spotter does.

Gets us to practical side of long range sniping.Ed

I think rules most are going with is 50 lbs

for rifle and scope, and tripods, bipods, rests, bags are

not counted in the 50, which I think is good deal.

And that along with time limits mimics what

the sniper and his helper/spotter does.

Gets us to practical side of long range sniping.Ed

Great. I can deal with that.

Shooter carries rifle with scope at 50# or less.
Spotter carries rifle support equipment, spotter scope, rifle support (pods,bags) at 50# or less.

That's just an example comparing the K2M to practical applications.

Here is final specs of 416 HE case,

and reamer prints going to reamer makers. Ed

Attachments

• 2aaaa416he.JPG
    2aaaa416he.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 21