Let's talk 6.5s

CoasttoCoast

Specifically ones that work in a short action with a short barrel (16-20 inches) I ve searched around and narrowed my search down to the 260 Remington and the 6.5 creedmoor. I'd like to shoot the high bc 140 grain Berbers. Which caliber would you guys prefer, and please post ballistic data along with barrel length if you have any. Thanks!

I shoot a .260 Remington. Not sure about a 6.5 Creedmore, but IMHO if it is 6.5 you can't go wrong

Had a 260 built last summer on a Remington SA, 24in. Krieger barrel. I wanted to shoot 140gr. Bergers but the rifle just didn't like them. It loves 140gr. A-Maxs, COL 2.815, and really likes 130gr. Sciroccos, COL 2.810. If I built another 260, I honestly think I would do it in a LA so that you could stretch those VLDs out to where they want to be. Just my thoughts.

I thought about the 260 ai, but I assumed I wouldn't get any benefit from it by using a short barrel. Does anyone have ballistic data for short barreled 260, 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5 x 47?

I'm just wondering if I go 16 or 18 inch barrel that the 260 would perform the same as one of the smaller 6.5s

Specifically ones that work in a short action with a short barrel (16-20 inches) I ve searched around and narrowed my search down to the 260 Remington and the 6.5 creedmoor. I'd like to shoot the high bc 140 grain Berbers. Which caliber would you guys prefer, and please post ballistic data along with barrel length if you have any. Thanks!
Just so you are aware and you probably already know. You are giving up so much with that barrel length requirement.

Of the 2 you list, I would go with 6.5CM because of slightly less powder capacity will be more 'efficient' in a shorter barrel.

IIWM: I would go for a 6.5SS or 6.5x47L. The reasoning behind it is simple: the sort barrel won't allow the use of more powder capacity anyway.

Explanation: With the "308" based designs, that is the 260, 6.5CM or 6.5x47L, with the short barrel you are looking at a MV of ~2600fps or lower. With the 6.5SS, because of the greater chamber pressure, you can take that up to ~2850.

I hope this helps your decision process. Have fun and please give us updates on where you go with it.

I thought about the 260 ai, but I assumed I wouldn't get any benefit from it by using a short barrel. Does anyone have ballistic data for short barreled 260, 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5 x 47?

I'm just wondering if I go 16 or 18 inch barrel that the 260 would perform the same as one of the smaller 6.5s

The .260 IS one of the smaller 6.5's. Smaller than that class of cartridge takes you to the 6.5 Grendel. Going with a 16 or 18 inch barrel in a .260 class cartridge is a complete waste of ballistic potential. You can go that route, but the end product is not going to be a long range rifle. Even the Creedmoor was designed around a 24" barrel.

About 20" is the shortest I'd go with 6,5mm. It works well, in the video below we are shooting to 1100 meters (appr 1200 yds).

With a 18" barrel and 6,5x55 you can expect 780-810 msec (2550-2650 fps) w 140gr and 850-870 msec(2750-2850 fps) w 123gr.

Last edited by a moderator:
A short barrel will not do any of those rounds justice. The 260 and 6.5 cm have great potential. A short barrel is really wasting all their potential. Id go no shorter than a 20 but a 22 or 24 would be awesome in either round. My 6.5 Creedmoor with a 140 a-max and 43 grains of rl-17 in a 24 in barrel is getting it out at 2900 fps with no signs of pressure. My dads creedmoor with a 22 in barrel with the same load is at 2850.

A short barrel will not do any of those rounds justice. The 260 and 6.5 cm have great potential. A short barrel is really wasting all their potential. Id go no shorter than a 20 but a 22 or 24 would be awesome in either round. My 6.5 Creedmoor with a 140 a-max and 43 grains of rl-17 in a 24 in barrel is getting it out at 2900 fps with no signs of pressure. My dads creedmoor with a 22 in barrel with the same load is at 2850.

Mid 2800s is all I'm really looking for with the berger vlds. Do I need to step up to either a long action or a wildcat cartridge to get these ballistics out of a short barrel?

Mid 2800s is all I'm really looking for with the berger vlds. Do I need to step up to either a long action or a wildcat cartridge to get these ballistics out of a short barrel?

I'll have to play devils advocate; why the stubby-assed barrel? Are you runing suppressed or what? You can probably get into the 2600-2700 area but you'll probably be pushing pretty hard. Run a slightly faster powder maybe... the SS & x284 wouldn't be a very good choice IMHO, you'll end up belching a great big ole fireball of unburned propellent out the end.... make a good show I guess :D

t

I'll have to play devils advocate; why the stubby-assed barrel? Are you runing suppressed or what? You can probably get into the 2600-2700 area but you'll probably be pushing pretty hard. Run a slightly faster powder maybe... the SS & x284 wouldn't be a very good choice IMHO, you'll end up belching a great big ole fireball of unburned propellent out the end.... make a good show I guess :D

t

The fireball you mention is exactly what im trying to avoid. Im interested in the short barrel because it saves weight. This is going on a mountain rifle, and id like it to be sub six pounds all up. However, I would rather sacrifice a few oz and get a longer barrel then kill my ballistics... Sounds like the 260 or 6.5 cm in a 22 inch barrel is what is gonna work best. the rifle will still be light weight, but prolly not sub 6 lbs.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.