Let's Talk 338 Norma Magnum

diderr

Anybody have experience with this cartridge on here? I have seen the write up/ review posted on here, but want others experiences. I just ordered a 1-9.5 Brux to re-barrel my McMillan tac-338. I hope the cartridge turns out to be as good as or better than what everyone makes it out to be.
gun)

It will be in my next project. I'd probably go for 338 NM Imp.

I felt confident that it is the amazing caliber for my project. (Will be used in Savage Target action with PTG head bolt .590)

I think it comes down to the particular rifle or build. There is no real magic cartridge,yes ones that are known for more efficient. Which I think this one is. Holds about 7 grn less per h20 than Lapua, improved gets you to Lapua capacity.I have seen several and many posts of Norma shooting similar velocity,but if you pushed Lapua?But all the larger 338's Rum, Edge,Allen,Etc seem to be many are great long range, the 300 grn. bullet is a big help.

This is my build 338 Norma imp 35 degree long throat

Decgunphotos031-Copy_zpse918132e.jpg

Snowy Mountain 450 Action Long tendon
1-9.3 Benchmark barrel 32 inch finish
PDC Brake
PDC Tactical Stock w/ bipod from Craig
Seekins mag set up
Vortex Razor Scope.
40 Moa rail

I really love this set up. Only way I will change would be a 338 Laupa Long throat
single shot type of rifle

Jeff

Cowboy
Great looking rig. I bet it is a long range hammer. Have you tried a lower set of rings? What height are you currently running? Do you have a difficult time getting consistent/solid cheek weld?

I have a 338 norma 24'' barrel. 91 gr of ramshot mag 2760. It shoot 1/4 to 1/2 moa. I got it used of here. The tuble is i have a 338 AX that shoot just as good but way faster 3020 . So it make my Norma boring. Joe

338 Norma is my favorite rifle. Mine shoots one hole with around 85 gr RL 22 and a 300 smk.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 133
I'm pushing the 300grn Berger OTM with H1000 at 2774fps, with a 26" Benchmark 9.5" Twist. It shoots very well. I've pushed it out to 1798yds. I'd like to give Retumbo a try again, might get a bit more velocity. I tried some Ramshot Mag, but that stuff was to dirty for my liking.

xdeano

Here,s another one of mine plus it up for grabs

March2014002_zpse65e3394.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

RWS signature action
1-10 Brux barrel 28 inch at the brake. PDC brake
PDC Gen 2 stock with PDC bipod
Forester dies
100 pcs of brass with 50 loaded with 300 gr Hybrid Bergers
2 Mags
Trigger guys and gals you tell me what kind you want in it I will provide. Why because I like very light triggers so some may want that or more trigger for hunting.

Thanks Jeff

Pm for a price

Here,s another one of mine plus it up for grabs

March2014002_zpse65e3394.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

RWS signature action
1-10 Brux barrel 28 inch at the brake. PDC brake
PDC Gen 2 stock with PDC bipod
Forester dies
100 pcs of brass with 50 loaded with 300 gr Hybrid Bergers
2 Mags
Trigger guys and gals you tell me what kind you want in it I will provide. Why because I like very light triggers so some may want that or more trigger for hunting.

Thanks Jeff

Pm for a price

What COAL are you running with the 300 bergers?

I'm pushing the 300grn Berger OTM with H1000 at 2774fps, with a 26" Benchmark 9.5" Twist. It shoots very well. I've pushed it out to 1798yds. I'd like to give Retumbo a try again, might get a bit more velocity. I tried some Ramshot Mag, but that stuff was to dirty for my liking.

xdeano

That's a really nice stick! What stock is that? I'm really diggin' the contoured/palm-swell grip!!!

Can anyone tell me, in 338 Norma:

• What bullet you shoot
  • COL to touching lands
  • Would you change anything

The Berger 300's are longer than the Sierra's so my thoughts are that, chambering for the Sierras will allow both bullets to touch. Your thoughts?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.