Let's see your Varmint rifles !

Bullet Bumper,
I assume that you are a machinist, and that is a chunk of aluminum that you built the stock out of? I think you should anodize it some sweet color, and start producing them to sell? That is WAY over the top looking. Absolutely awesome looking workmanship. Can't say enough about it. Too bad you are soooooo far away!!
I thought Australia was a "no gun" Country? That must have changed? Do you guys have the NRA representing you now also?
Also, how much does it weigh? It really is an awesome piece.

Bullet Bumper,
I assume that you are a machinist, and that is a chunk of aluminum that you built the stock out of? I think you should anodize it some sweet color, and start producing them to sell? That is WAY over the top looking. Absolutely awesome looking workmanship. Can't say enough about it. Too bad you are soooooo far away!!
I thought Australia was a "no gun" Country? That must have changed? Do you guys have the NRA representing you now also?
Also, how much does it weigh? It really is an awesome piece.
Hi Michiganhunter . I am a self taught machinist not a professional so I am slow but if I had a CNC milling machine it would be different .
The main rail started as a rough cut 50 x 50 bar of 7075 that I got as scrap from a place that cuts up large sheets of 7075. the rest is from scrap I had laying around and could be a mixture of 6061 , 7075 , Duralium and god knows what else . It is over constructed as I used whatever I had on hand to keep the cost down because I expected to stuff it up and have to start again so this was a practise job . However as luck would have it , it turned out fine and shoots real good so far .
Australia is far from " No Guns " we just can't have autos and slide action shot guns without a special category licence .
We are represented by the SSAA Sporting Shooters Association inc. Which is in contact with the NRA and gets advice from them at times. However we are also represented by our own Political party " The Shooters and Fishers party " of which we have two members of Parliament in the upper house .
In time we will get more members into Parliament and repeal some of these stupid laws we have . Some of our gun laws are good but some are just plain moronic.
You are right I am leaning toward anodizing as the best coating medium . Am hanging off doing it as I am not finished machining it yet . I still am unsure of how best to lighten and chop it without reducing rigidity and I may rework the butt system to lighter system as it all slides off . I have some new ideas now since I started .
It weighs 18 1/2 pounds with the day scope on. I could get it down to F class open if i wanted to . I am still trying to work out the best position for the bi-pod along the Picatinny rail under the forend so i can chop off the excess at the forend that would save a lot of weight . However it seems to shoot better with the Bi-pod right at the front so I am unsure how to proceed . Machining it is one thing but learning to drive it is another.
My main concept was no joints of any kind in the main rail untill well behind the action , super rigid and a straight line for recoil and detachable accessories . Also I have a secret plan to build a zero gravity tripod that will lock onto the side Picatinny rails but don't tell anybody. Well that is the fantasy at this stage .
I hope to be able to get hold of a custom action one day and make another one based on a better action . However I am amazed at how well an old Mauser can shoot when it is all tarted up with new running gear .
What color do you think I should anodize it ?

Last edited:
I am not sure on the color, but the overall look is quite awesome. That's fascinating that you are a self taught machinist, and had the vision, and skill to do that much work on your own. I have a friend in California that is an excellent machinist. I am going to send him the link from this blog, and have him take a look at your project. I am a fan of Red, and also yellow/gold anodize, but it would be your choice, and use of the gun that should make the call on the color? Mine are for critter control, so mostly Matt black, but I do have a couple with stainless barrels. I just camo tape them before I go Coyote hunting. I also have a neighbor that is in his 70's, that is a retired machine tool man. Specifically, a twist drill retiree, that used to machine the cutting edges on drill bits, and cutters. I will let him look at your project as well. He swears by Mauser's, and has made many tack drivers out of them, before their prices started getting out of hand.
Best of luck to you, and your fellow Australians on getting ALL of your rights, and guns back. The scene we saw here from the NRA, was peoples entire gun collections being lifter into the air by big cranes, with giant magnets on them, dropping hundreds of guns at a time into a grinder, all the time, telling us that without the NRA, our fate would be much the same? That is why I thought that you could not have any firearm there at all. I thought that even your Olympic shooters, had to go to a neighboring Country to practice? Oh, American Media!!:D

I am not sure on the color, but the overall look is quite awesome. That's fascinating that you are a self taught machinist, and had the vision, and skill to do that much work on your own. I have a friend in California that is an excellent machinist. I am going to send him the link from this blog, and have him take a look at your project. I am a fan of Red, and also yellow/gold anodize, but it would be your choice, and use of the gun that should make the call on the color? Mine are for critter control, so mostly Matt black, but I do have a couple with stainless barrels. I just camo tape them before I go Coyote hunting. I also have a neighbor that is in his 70's, that is a retired machine tool man. Specifically, a twist drill retiree, that used to machine the cutting edges on drill bits, and cutters. I will let him look at your project as well. He swears by Mauser's, and has made many tack drivers out of them, before their prices started getting out of hand.
Best of luck to you, and your fellow Australians on getting ALL of your rights, and guns back. The scene we saw here from the NRA, was peoples entire gun collections being lifted into the air by big cranes, with giant magnets on them, dropping hundreds of guns at a time into a grinder, all the time, telling us that without the NRA, our fate would be much the same? That is why I thought that you could not have any firearms there at all. I thought that even your Olympic shooters had to go to a neighboring Country to practice? Oh, American Media!!:D

The media loves to exaggerate and ours is exactly the same . It was fairly bad and we did loose a lot of nice autos and slide actions but that was it. What the Government did was buy a lot of secondhand guns of all types from gunshops and dealers and threw them on the pile . I think the NRA was right about using it as an example of what can happen . The idiots here were paying big money for old worn out barrels and guns. The gun dealers were selling every old gun they had to the Government .
You know mate I always wanted a lathe and a mill since I was a kid so I have studied books on machining all my life for the day when I could afford one .
The same day I installed my lathe and mill I started machining threads and all , it all just came out and I knew what I had to do. I have made a few mistakes and broke a few tools over the years but nothing major .
Now that I have made this one I feel better qualified to do a lighter more artistic shaped one that looks better but is still rigid and functional and I can carry around better . Mine will be mainly used at night with the NV scope on critters ( pigs , fox and wild dog ) waiting over baits and during the day at longer range ( 30-06 barrel ) from a fixed firing position ( sniping ) not far from the vehicle . I reckon once I get the 30-06 going good it will stay on the gun most of the time .
Thanks a buch for appreciating the work that has gone into this rail . I think a lot of people don't believe I built the whole thing . I even swaged the bullets I use in it .

Bullet Bumper,
I had my Machinist friend in California look at your pictures, and here is what he wrote me lat night:
holy crap!! thats awesome that guy is a hobbyist....
he's kinda on the expert level of hobbyist though IMO.
i didnt post in the blog but he could probably cavity the heck outta the forestock area on top and bottom. just by looking, i am guessing he could get 30% of the material off just by cutting cavities and not compromise the structural ridgidity that hes concerned with?
It would be similar to an aircraft wingspar where they start with a large piece and remove 60-80% leaving a floor in the middle with ribs on both sides of the floor (cavities between ribs)
He also sent me a picture of a wingspan on my Facebook page. I am not sure you can click on it to open it, so if it doesn't work, I will find a different link, and post it. My friend Joe is a really good machinist, and builds some awesome stuff from aluminum. If you want, PM me your email address, and I can send you some of his work. Maybe he can give you some help via email and pictures? I think you have a great idea, and it is worth per suing. You may very well end up building some custom stocks to sell to Bench Rest guys?
Maybe more than that?

http://www.facebook.com/ajax/messag...33354062&ext=1340021253&hash=AQCCllohsn3SUEbz

Hi bullet bumper, nice work mate, i am a machinist yet i dont possess either the motivation or dedication to produce something like that, i really wish i did, give yourself a pat on the back.
I have a mate just like you an exceptional machinist better then most i worked with, he builds his own guns as well but his latest project is an exact copy of a bald eagle front rest complete with rack and pinion primary rise, the rack and pinion gear machined from scratch and the base cast from aluminium to a pattern he made himself. keep up the good work mate.

Ian.

P.S. a nice royal blue or crimson anodising for target versions of your stock and wrinkle finish balck or olive drab for field versions would set it them nicely.

I wish I had the tools to do metal work, would be fun. I wish I had even the necessary tools to do proper wood work. For now I am stuck with a basic viles, saw and some air tools to manage by. I prefer wood stocks so I am experimenting on making my own laminates. Getting the basic shape is a lot of work unless you want to use a grinder but that makes the chances of "ooops" moments much higher. :)

Still, the biggest work is getting nice fit on the action and then final touch up to make it look good. A good mill or CNC router would do wonders. So far I have two rough ones for Savage actions and an even rougher one for a Tikka T3. Anyone know a place to do woodwork in Tampa Florida area? Probably not but it's worth asking...

DSC_2359.JPG

DSC_2361.JPG

DSC_1852.JPG

DSC_2368.JPG

DSC_2369.JPG

I wish I had the tools to do metal work, would be fun. I wish I had even the necessary tools to do proper wood work. For now I am stuck with a basic viles, saw and some air tools to manage by. I prefer wood stocks so I am experimenting on making my own laminates. Getting the basic shape is a lot of work unless you want to use a grinder but that makes the chances of "ooops" moments much higher. :)

Still, the biggest work is getting nice fit on the action and then final touch up to make it look good. A good mill or CNC router would do wonders. So far I have two rough ones for Savage actions and an even rougher one for a Tikka T3. Anyone know a place to do woodwork in Tampa Florida area? Probably not but it's worth asking...

DSC_2359.JPG

DSC_2361.JPG

DSC_1852.JPG

DSC_2368.JPG

DSC_2369.JPG

I have found that the most important part of a stock is it's rigidity and you will get that with a laminated design no worries. Well done mate . I had to give up making stocks in wood because I could not put up with the dust and got bad sinus trouble
So now I use mainly alloy with some wood tacked on where it is too cold to have just bare alloy . My next attempt will be a lighter rail with bolt on plastic or wood sides something like an AI stock .

Hey Sami,
I would check with your local Middle or High School? Maybe, if there is a "wood shop" class, the wood shop teacher could point you in the right direction? My neighbor is a retired Gym Teacher, and he bought all of the wood shop tools from the High School, when they were ready to buy new equipment. Lucky neighbor! He builds display cases for train collectors, but not much else. My other neighbor is a retired machine tool man. He has a fantastic metal lathe in his barn. He was a darn good gun smith for many years. He has had eye problems in recent years, so those days are gone, but I love to pick his brain about rifles, and shooting in general.
Good luck, and keep up the good work.
Mike

Find a local cabinet maker and see what you might be able to work out with them.

I made a couple of stocks back in highschool as shop projects and like you found out in a hurry that when you are doing them without templates (there was no CNC machining back then), jigs, and equipment set up specifically for stock making it's an awful lot of work.

I started with just 2x6's and man it's a long way from a simple piece of lumber to a nice stock!

I think I ended up throwing away six or eight of them and starting over and after hundreds of hours of trial and error came up with two that were half assed workable.

You're already doing a nice job than I ever managed HA! gun)

Haven't had much time to do load testing on it. Found this one from a guy wanting to trade for my franken LTR . He stated in the ad that it was a remington 700 VLS in 243. Wasn't even close.... It turns out receiver date is 1971 and barrel is May 1970. Really it is a Rem 700 BDL varmint deluxe. I had a VLS a few years ago and you can really tell the quality in this rifle vs. the previous actual VLS. Anyway, it can shoot submoa with 95grain bergers, but once I got a group I wanted I decided it was time to shoot some groundhogs. Sorry for the rotten pictures, I'm not a photographer. Love what those bergers do to those groundhogs ;)
fkady9.jpg

15ek40y.jpg

Recent Posts