Len's New Website: Long Range BowHunting .com

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
bow-glow-1.jpg

In 2001 long range hunting with rifles was something that many people were already doing. But we all found it hard to discuss with other like minded souls openly on the internet. Too often, a thread on general hunting sites that started out as a productive discussion ended up with at least vigorous debate over ethics or worse, in bitter rancor.

That was the genesis of this site as I decided I had had enough punishment on those other forums. So I started this site to be a safe haven for me and others like me. We have gone from a few hundred members that first month in April of 2001 to 12,000 today. In a typical month, 50,000 different people come to this site! Our sport has grown in popularity and this is evidenced in many ways. One of the more intriguing ways to measure the change is to just look around at all the new products and services geared to us who are LRH practitioners.

In the last 6 months I have visited the most active archery and bowhunting forum sites. In all cases you can readily see thread examples of debate and discord similar to what in 2001 drove me to start this site. The facts are that many, many archers are using the advantages of today's superior equipment to bow hunt at longer ranges. The manufacturers see this desire on the part of bowhunters and are constantly developing better rangefinders, flatter shooting bows and better sights for use in both 3-D competitions and more importantly in hunting.

So I have decided to perform the same service for the hunting community as I did back in 2001. I will be offering a new website devoted to sharing the knowledge and passion of Long Range BowHunting. Since people are already shooting longer as bowhunters, then I will provide a safe haven for discussion and a place to share knowledge and passion for this sport.

Before the end of summer the new site will go live. There is much work for me to do before then. Software to buy, to customize and to install. Site layout and graphics to be created and uploaded. Content needs to be identified and obtained.

If you are an archer, long range or otherwise, I hope you will join me there. If you know of other bowhunters I hope you will mention the new site to them.

Last edited:
I will be a frequent visitor to your new forum being as I am intending to move in that direction myself. I once did that kind of thing and my hunting partner in those days long ago in Utah did those things too. It is a very time consuming passion because it requires even more practice than a rifle. However, it is so very peaceful being as you are usually not competing with other hunters. It is just you and the animals. Best of all the weather is warmer and you can wear light boots and clothes.

Your launch date conflicts with dove season, antelope season, elk season and deer season but perhaps that is good because maybe some of the current long range bow hunters will be able to contribute stories this next season.

It'll come as no surprise your new site will have my attention. Your sentiments are well expressed and spot on. Once again, thanks for the fantastic site. I am looking forward to the new site!

Oh boy. My longest Whitetail bow-kill was in the 50yd range. "Bob" was 255lbs and resides in my basement... I know its a little premature, but have you given any thought to your next Long Range site? "Longe Range Spear Chucking" maybe?
Sorry about the bare feet...
db

Yes i will be here a lot just got good bow better with it than i am with my rifle that is 200+ yards shoot it a lot more. and for your GENERAL DISCUSSION RULES is bare foot no shirt in camo shorts ok:D

I'll make a note that you (only) are allowed to break the dress code. But don't tell anyone or they will all want special treatment and that just leads to big problems.

please keep me posted

I look forward to your new site. I plan to hunt in the west in the coming years and really need help in being able to shoot longer than the 25 yard shots that I now feel comfortable with taking.

Jack

Jack, that's great. The site won't be just for those who hunt at 70 yards. As with this site, the focus will be on "Long Range" being a relative term. Right now "Long Range" for me would be 38 yards, my current longest kill. But I, like you, will learn and share techniques that help us all be better at distances that push us a little and which give us more opportunities in the field.

I've actually been doing this with a bow longer than with a rifle. Killed a nice 4x4 muley last year at 76 yds. Can't wait!!!

I will defininitely be round often, I can use all the help I can get in the longer range bow hunting aspect. This promises to be an excellent site!

thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.