New at long range shooting

bwitt

I'm new to long range shooting, I have place in Austin that has a 1000 yard targets with my 280 139gr @3050fps and zeroed in at 100 yds that has a Leupold 6.5x20 50mm how many click do I adjust to hit a 1000. I guess a better question is I know one click at a 100 moves it 1/4 of an inch, but what does one at 300, 500,700 and a 1000 do

I'm new to long range shooting, I have place in Austin that has a 1000 yard targets with my 280 139gr @3050fps and zeroed in at 100 yds that has a Leupold 6.5x20 50mm how many click do I adjust to hit a 1000. I guess a better question is I know one click at a 100 moves it 1/4 of an inch, but what does one at 300, 500,700 and a 1000 do

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

I can do it in my apps but I need some other info.

Make it easy for yourself and get a ballistics apps for your cell phone so you plug the required information to make the necessary adjustments.

Some of them are free like the https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.borisov.strelok

Good luck!

First tip: don't think in terms of "clicks". Use one of the ballistic calculators mentioned above, but start thinking in terms of "minutes of angle". Your scope apparently is calibrated in minutes of angle (generally rounded off to approximately 1 inch per hundred yards, and your scope moves 1/4 MOA per "click"). Thinking about it in MOA simplifies the process. If the program says 25.5 MOA elevation at 1000 yards, you simply dial 25 and a half MOA on your turret- instead of figuring out how many inches of drop it is at the distance, then having to calculate how many clicks that is and so on. Welcome to your new addiction.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.