Long Range Bowhunting By Lorenzo Young

Congratulation!

A 90 yard shot with a bow is like a 900 yard shot with a gun. The drop in inches are actually very close.

But I really disagree with using light arrows for long range (past 50yd), it just doesn't have the penetration like the heavier arrows do.

I agree with heavier arrows. It makes a world of difference. I shoot around a 480 gr arrow. I've taken some long range shots on animals and I really believe that a heavy arrow made the difference. Another critical aspect is the sight. I personally like the Sure Loc lethal weapon max on the Spot Hogg Boss Hogg. This allows multiple pins on the closer ranges and be able to pick the yard according to your rangefinder. So if the rangefinder says 97 yds, you set it to 97 yds. I also got used to using an anchor point that is lower on my face than most allowing me to have the peep sight higher on the string therefore get more range. I also like bows with at least a 7 in brace height. I know a few guys with the X force. They seemed to have accuracy issues. I'm not saying they're bad bows but that bow is definitely not for beginners... well I guess neither is the long range shooting of archery tackle. I will say I do know some guys that shoot the heck out of the X forces too.

Another aspect I find critical is using a rangefinder with angle compensation. I personally use the OptiLogic rangefinder. They haven't let me down yet. I don't get to hung up on speed. I'll take forgiving over speed any day. Just my .02!

also like bows with at least a 7 in brace height. I know a few guys with the X force. They seemed to have accuracy issues. I'm not saying they're bad bows but that bow is definitely not for beginners... well I guess neither is the long range shooting of archery tackle. I will say I do know some guys that shoot the heck out of the X forces too.

The PSE X-Force LD has a brace height of 8.5 inches but was only made for one year being as the only people who actually buy high brace height bows is you and me.

I also like the Spot Hogg sights.

Arrows are stiff spined ACC 3-71s and 125 gr fixed broadheads

I had a question... do you have any problems with the ACC not being straight after a while? I was shooting the A/C Super Slims and I was running into that problem. I was shooting the 300's with a 125 gr. I talked to Easton and asked them about their Pro Hunters. They told me if I wanted durability to go with the Epics (because I like the insert). So I ended up with the Epics and really like them. I gave up a little weight but still have 480 gr. I figure thats plenty for anything.

I noticed that a lot of companies are going to the short brace height bows and short axle to axle bows. I guess that's the fad right now.

Hey Lorenzo, excellent article, it has helped me a lot!!!
I have read it several times, and I keep on learning from it.
I find it amazing the distances you guys shoot at.
I am trying though!!! Will keep you updated.

Consider this...... bow seasons were based on using a primitive weapon. If, by hunting at what could be argued muzzle loading distances, we may very well not have a argument if the government wants to cut our bow seasons.

One other thought, 330 fps? Was that with a hunting weight arrow that was personally chronographed? Some states have a minimum arrow weight of 6gr/# or 400 gr which ever is more.

Great article. All the points you make are valid. Know your limitations. My friends do shoot and kill pronghorn antelope at long ranges with archery equipment in Wyoming every year. The first time I witnessed it I was amazed. Where I live and hunt whitetail deer a 50 yard shot is a far shot because of the thick areas I hunt in the Atchafalaya Basin in Louisiana.

Last edited:
Bow hunting is IMO about getting in close to the animal. I think you guys need to improve your hunting skills not your long range archery skills.

Good to see someone has written this article so I don't have too. Spot on, great advice, and emphasis on the right skills...practice!!! A+

Great article. I do most of my hunting with archery equipment I have successfully taken game from 3yds to 109yds but I have also had to pass on countless shots. It all has to with personal ability. The right gear and the right time. Thier is a lot of great information in this article the one thing I noticed mention in the article is centering the peep around the pin. I do not agree here by centering your peep around each pin for different yardage changes your anchor point slightly. Instead IMO your peep should be centered around your sight rack and your pin placed on target just takes out a lot of the equation. It's a lot easier to center on larger diameter than small. One other tip if you question yourself on a shot on any game animal ever do not take the shot. There is to many other variables that you can not control in archery. Shoot to kill not wound an animal you may never find

I am so glad to see this thread, about a year ago I was trying to come up with something to improve my distance at target shooting. I saw a row of shooting sticks in the sporting goods and it hit me that this was the key. I started out learning to shoot with the shooting stick and it made a big different quickly. I told my buddies and they told me that I was full of it but at hunting camp this year I out shot everyone and blew them away at how well I was grouping at 80 yards. Shooting sticks are the ticket.

Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.