Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
6.5wsm_xp-100.jpg

Here are the specs:

• Smithed by Kirby Allen
  • XP-100 action
  • McMillan center grip stock reinforced by Kirby
  • Lilja 1-9, 18" stainless barrel, straight cylinder (1.25 inch)
  • APS custom brake to fit fat barrel
  • Matte finish barrel, brake
  • Trigger tuned to 1# pull
  • Near rail base, 5 hole converted to 8-40 screws
  • Nightforce NXS 3.5 to 15 rifle scope, NF rings
  • Weight with scope but w/o bipod is 11#

This is my first handgun. I haven't shot it a lot so far and have only worked with one load of H-1000 and the Cauterucio 141 grain bullet. Yesterday in verifying ballistic drops, at 600 yds I had 4 shots into 3" vertical, at 500 I had 4 shots into 3" vertical, at 400 there were 3 shots into 1" vertical, at 300 there were 2 shots into 1/2" vertical.

Next year I am going to get with Ernie, Steve, Mike and Dan and have them show me how to shoot it.

Thanks, guys.

Ernie, I haven't tried to spot my own hits much so far. I tried just enough to know it will take some practice. And I have so much to learn about just shooting a hand gun that I didn't want to use my short time available for that. I leave this Thursday for Montana.

The recoil is to the rear and to the left side. It's the sideways movement that will be the challenge in spotting hits.

I will say, though, that I am quickly getting comfortable with the gun. I like it a lot! I am now officially a Specialty Handgun nut. :cool:

Len,

That's one fine looking rig, definately a stout barrel on that thing.

Have you by any chance run any rounds over a chrony yet? Kinda curious how much more oompf you get out of the 6.5 wsm versus the 6.5 wssm I'm shooting.

Chris

Very nice looking rig Len. Glad to see someone else has come over the SP side.
Have fun and good luck hunting.
Mike

At 11# I imagine that the recoil is not too bad.
Next time you need advice on a stock color let me know, I can think of something besides basic black.

Balck is not a color it is a shade! but it is Sexy!

BB,
You still up on that mountain with Roy? correct me if im wrong I may have some of you confused.

Now that is one fine lookin firearm!!! What reticle are you using with the nightforce?
the recoil is back and to the left, are you getting full field of view? how close is the scope coming to you at recoil?
trying to talk my self into using the rifle scopes instead of the 3x12's burris.
again nice gun
nmhunter

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.