Len's New APS, 6.5WSM XP-100

Len, that is a very nice rig.. At 11 pounds without the scope it is heavier than my 338 Laupa with a 30 ABS barrel it wieghs 11.6 pounds including the 5.5X22X50 NXS.....

Near Base

Blaserman are you talking about what MOA it is? I have a near base with 10 MOA but I think he can do whatever you would like if you can wait, that's his only drawback he does beatiful work it just takes forever to get it. I actually have an alum. 10 MOA base on order for my next XP project and it's already been several month's.

Base

yes thats what I ment . Just wanted to get an Idea I am using the same scope onn mine after it is built. I am sure I can find another one as good if I don't wait him out.

Range Report:

I only shot this handgun about 50 times last fall when I got it just before hunting season. Today I went out to the range that I just joined. Nice setup, not very busy during the day time on weekdays. Can shoot out as far as 600 yards from bench or prone.

Anyway, I had never shot it off a bench before, always prone. I had the scope off to install Shawn's bolt release last month. So I shot (from the bench with bipod) one group each at 200, 400 and 600 yards to re-establish my drop chart. Two were 3 shot groups and one was 5 shots. All were just under or just barely over 1/2 MOA. I am still using the first load I started with. Never adjusted the OAL or the powder weight. I don't think I will bother.

Now my plan is to shoot often this summer from hunting positions, always prone or seated with bipod. Not a lot of shots each time out there. Just enough to keep up my muscle memory.

Good to hear Len! I just finished mine last weekend. My first groups were not quite as promising. I shot right at 1 moa. I havent shot a pistol like this before. I just tried some old reloader 22 and went with the only load I could find. It seams cold and the bullets were not out to the lands but not all of us can shoot 1/2 moa with a pistol! I guess I will have to practice.

Jason

what is that extractor you installed for? doesnt the gun extract the shell after kirby gets done with it?

good shooting Len, looks like you are getting ready for the antelope hunt. I found a little time last Sat. to work with my 270 WSM HSP, I have switched over to the NXS scopes on several of the LRP's now. It is amazing how well these short barrels shoot.
We should be hearing back from the WY g&f around the 10th of July on our antelope tags.
Have you been out shooting with Zuba yet?
nmhunter

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.