Len's New APS, 6.5WSM XP-100

Now that is one fine lookin firearm!!! What reticle are you using with the nightforce?
the recoil is back and to the left, are you getting full field of view? how close is the scope coming to you at recoil?
trying to talk my self into using the rifle scopes instead of the 3x12's burris.
again nice gun
nmhunter

Hey Tom, I thought you were going to be ordering a couple of rifle scopes???

I will be after the KY deer season, I did put a a 6X leupold on one of the HS's (308 Win) and fired a few shots. It will take some getting used to as the muzzle jump is up and back on all of my guns. Scope came very close to my head. May have to rethink about how tight I grip the HS's as well. The scope of choice is going to be the ART 4.5 x 14 Leup. or NXS 3.5 x 15. Just like to get others opinion as to what they are experiencing.
Will have to make the coice soon though, due to a burris coming apart on my 270 WSM last week.
tom

My reticle is the Mildot only because lately I also hunt in the woods of Wisconsin where I may need a heavier reticle to show up against brush. Previously I used the NP-R2.

I am easily getting full field of view without undue concern over getting wacked. Obviously the heavy barrel is a major factor here. As I recall, I went 2 pounds heavier than Ernie's 7 Dakota.

I need a bystander to tell us how close the scope is to my head. I'll work on that with Mike after deer season. And then I'll also practice the "spot my own hits" technique and report back to the group.

For my needs, the 3.5 to 15X is perfect. Powerful enough for ranges way past what I will hunt big game at. At low power, wide enough field of view for a potential 50 yard shot. (Although I can't actually remember what a 50 yard shot is like? :) )

Thanks Len, Are you planning on joining us for the SP antelope hunt next season? that gun sure would work well on them antelope.
tom

As I recall, I went 2 pounds heavier than Ernie's 7 Dakota.

Yes, that sounds about right.

Ironically, when it is time to rebarrel I will go with a lighter taper barrel:eek:
Almost feel like I should set-up a switch barrel. Heavy for pd's and light for everything else. Of course that is to costly just for LR pd's, but the next one will be lighter. In the mountains last year hunting elk I could really tell the difference between it and my old 7.82 Patriot weight wise (well I maybe getting older may have something to do with it;)). Well, that is my story and I am sticking to it.

Len,

Glad to hear she is behaving for you. If your still learning to shoot the XP, I think your off to a very good start!!!

XP,

I make my own brake for the large diameter barrels. Generally, any muzzle diameter of 1" or smaller I will use other makers brakes mainly Shawns Defensive Edge brakes or the Holland QD brakes.

For barrels with muzzles larger then 1" I custom machine each brake. ALso for my big 338 AM rifles, I machine all my 5 port slab brakes for those rifles just because they are more efficent then any mass produced brake out there.

Kirby Allen(50)

Len,
XP,
I make my own brake for the large diameter barrels. Generally, any muzzle diameter of 1" or smaller I will use other makers brakes mainly Shawns Defensive Edge brakes or the Holland QD brakes.
For barrels with muzzles larger then 1" I custom machine each brake. ALso for my big 338 AM rifles, I machine all my 5 port slab brakes for those rifles just because they are more efficent then any mass produced brake out there.
Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
That is nice to know. Question: Would one of your 5 port slab's work better than the Holland's or Shawn's on smaller diameter barrels in a WSM class case on up?

Maybe a bit better then the Holland but not by much. No better then the DE 4 port. The reason is because there is just not enough gas volume to make 5 ports work any better then 4 ports.

Kirby Allen(50)

6.5 wsm

Len what height scope rings did you use with thw night force 3.5 x 15.
I sent a email to kirby on building a 300 wsm for me and I have a 3.5 x 15 I want to use on it.
Also what Moa base did you use from Near

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts