Len's fun coyote hunt with the Newcastle boys

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
I was the guest of the Newcastle coyote hunting boys over this past weekend and I had a great time. Seth Hunter, Justin Stevenson and Zane Goodsell showed me some beautiful terrain and we called some coyotes.

We started off Friday evening with pineapple pizza at the local Pizza Hut. It was surprisingly good.

I got a new camera just before the trip -- Nikon D7000. Couldn't wait to try it out in low light conditions. Saturday morning we used Justin's GPS based BLM map to navigate in the dark. I had not seen the chips displayed on a Garmin Nuvi before. That is really cool. To drive down the road in the truck watching the public land pop up on the screen.

nc-005.jpg

At "Oh-dark-thirty" the foggy scenery was stunning with hoary frost and clingy snow on the sage brush. There was just enough snow on the ground for spotting dogs and tracks. All 3 of us happened to have the same Cabela's Open Country winter camo on.

This is Justin.

nc-010.jpg

I had just one shot over the one and a half days. I missed it -- a hurried shot from a sitting position at 536 yards. In this cold weather you have to keep your range finder under your coat until the last minute or the electronics fail. The coyote came in to Justin's calls but snuck around and winded us. So he was scurrying away to warn his buddies when I saw him but he stopped long enough to taunt me.
nc-016.jpg

This was my setup. An Ultrec Shooting Sticks Tripod with a Stoney Point Tag-along for rear support. I need to practice this position more. It can be quite stable for the longer shots where you can't shoot prone. The sling is the double shoulder sling (at LRH Gear Shop).
nc-011.jpg

This is Justin and Seth.
nc-020.jpg

Later in the day the sun came out. This is Seth's pet coyote that he has trained since it was a pup to act as a decoy. :rolleyes:

nc-024.jpg

All weekend Justin and Zane just kept begging me to take their pictures. :D
nc-253.jpg

Notice Zane's special coyote viewing lenses. He told me these make it much easier to spot the dogs -- and they look cool.
nc-249.jpg

On Saturday Justin shot a coyote that we caught crossing the road -- with a rabbit in its mouth. On Sunday Justin and Zane busted out of the truck while I jumped out to get s shot of them taking a shot -- at a different coyote that got away before shots were fired.

nc-255.jpg

This rancher was so friendly. He stopped and chatted for about 15 minutes giving us suggestions on neighbors who would be pleased if we called their land. He also told us the county trapper had shot or trapped a gazillion coyotes in the neighborhood down the road.
nc-247.jpg

On the last set of the trip, Zane and Justin had had it with me and they tried to ditch me. But I saw them sneaking toward the truck and I ran down the road, catching them within a mile. I think they were shocked that I could catch them.
nc-261.jpg

The guys were great to be around. We all had a great time. I left early to beat a snow storm coming later that night. Justin called me early that evening to say that after I left Seth called in a bobcat and Justin shot 2 more coyotes.

Those guys know what they're dong. We called in or heard replies from coyotes on most of our sets. They'll be competing again in the Newcastle Coyote Contest in 2 weeks. Good luck, guys. I'll be back next year.

Last edited:
Looks like some awesome country!

Tim
No Off season

"No crowds, no limits, no seasons...no bad days."

Hello from "another Near Newcastle boy"

Don't know yet if I'll be able to get into the contest this year or not. Too early to tell. Last year, we missed out......literally! We would have been in the money with 5 had we connected on what we shot at..........both my partner and myself were kinda out of practice on the sitting position.

The contests we have won or got in the money in the past were partly due to hitting every one we shot at.

Good Luck to you other Newcastle Boys.

Last edited:
Len,

Glad to hear you got out this way to hunt some dogs.

I haven't had the time to hunt much myself lately. When I've gotten time off, I've been spending it in the reloading room or down at the shooting range testing out some new rifles/loads.

I've got a 338 AX on its' way, a 300 WSM on build, A 25-06 in for bedding/trigger work, and a 6 Long Dasher that should be done anytime.

Been working on loads for a custom AR recently.

Take Care and Merry Christmas.

Len,

I've got a 338 AX on its' way, a 300 WSM on build, A 25-06 in for bedding/trigger work, and a 6 Long Dasher that should be done anytime.

Been working on loads for a custom AR recently.

Holy cow, that's a lot of goodies.

viewsingleimage.html

Here's a photo of Wile E. Coyote on the prowl in SW Wyoming.

And some of my other photos...

imagesearch.html

Chris Gegere
aka
Lefty G-gear

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks like a great time thanks for sharing. I just coyote hunten last winter havent got any yet. I should of took the one I saw at 40 yards in a snow storm with my bow but didnt he had no clue I was there. I was deer hunten. I am up here in the great north MN. I am having hard time finding spots that have any realy long shots. Witch brings me to were in the blank do you find them in the woods? what kind of cover swamps fields? O there here alright

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.