Annual coyote hunt with two buddies

Korhil78

Every February, myself and 2 buddies get together and go on a 2 day coyote hunt on my buddies ranch land down in the boot heel of New Mexico. We got there on Friday in the evening and got all of our stuff set up for the morning.

We had a good day on Saturday calling in 11 coyotes and killing 9. Sunday, it was hot for February (72 degrees) and windy but we still managed to kill 5 out of 5 coyotes. 14 coyotes in two days was a lot of fun.

Last year, we called in 32 coyotes and only killed 16. The coyotes on this land don't get called at all so they don't come in all cautious and slow. It's a flat run to the caller so rifles get a little tricky to use. Even barking at them doesn't work a lot of times because they are so focused on the decoy and caller.

This year we switched to two people with shotguns and one with a rifle. One shotgunner sits with the rifle guy and the second shotgunner sits watching the rear. Our success rate on kills vs dogs called in was dramatically more successful.

Here are a few pics:

B1B748A0-1E8F-49E9-A376-DD082C5FD2B8.jpeg

B6FF756C-0299-461B-96A9-9C498C491C2C.jpeg

46B6BC21-34D9-49D2-849D-7C9EC056105B.jpeg

Looks like a heck of a time, I really love my Super Black Eagle 3 performance as well. Mine is used mainly for turkeys but will be using it for coyotes in the future. Have y'all tried any of the TSS loads?

I used to have pictures of the patterns but I was getting around 20 pellets on a coyote sized target at 50 yards. That's 20 .22 cal pellets. I'm using a kicks gobblin thunder choke tube with .655 constriction. A lot of people say that is too tight but I have found success with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.