2011 coyote hunting trip to Newcastle, WY

Discussion in 'Coyote Hunting - From 10 Yards to over 1,000 Yards' started by Len Backus, Dec 21, 2011.

1. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Well, I just got back from a 2nd hunting trip hosted by the Newcastle boys --- Seth hunter and Justin Stevenson.

We hunted Saturday all day and Sunday morning. We had about 10 sets and called in 14 dogs. Shot some, missed some. We heard howling in so many spots it was amazing.

Justin and Seth are very experienced and it's a big advantage to me in learning more about how to hunt coyotes. My technique questions probably wear them out after a while but they pretend they don't mind. :)

Justin and I started out Friday late afternoon sighting in our rifles at 100 yards and then at 670 yards. Then we met Seth for supper at a great Italian restaurant. Saturday noon we ate at a different spot. I had a wonderful sandwich with fresh cut fries. But then things went downhill for my meal.

They made me try a deep fried chicken gizzard! Yuck..... I snuck the half-eaten portion into my pocket and I don't think they noticed. But I'll be going back next year anyway.

I left for home at noon on Sunday so I could listen on my Sirious satellite car radio to my 13 and 0, undefeated Green Bay Packers. By the time I was past Rapid City, SD, my undefeated GB Packers were defeated. I should have kept hunting and skipped the game.

The bucks in the bottom picture were located less than 100 yards off the road while we drove between sets.

Attached Files:

2. Korhil78

Korhil78 Well-Known Member

Thats awesome. I think coyote hunting is one of my favorite hobbies. That and reloading. Year around hunting with no licsense. Can't beat that in New Mexico. Tons of dogs here in Southern New Mexico.

3. szeitner

szeitner Well-Known Member

next time you're that close, saunter on up here to Miles City, and I'll get you onto some dogs up here...lots of them!

4. tt35

tt35 Well-Known Member

Ahh, chicken gizzards ain't that bad.... Looks like a great trip. And, that one buck is a dandy!

5. sendero72

sendero72 Well-Known Member

KFC gizzards are the best! Those guys know good food!

6. Justin2111

Justin2111 Well-Known Member

Len, we where happy to have ya! Wish u would of stayed the rest of the day cause we went out and made that number 18, shot 2. It was a very fun weekend! To bad about our packers!

7. Rabbiddog

Rabbiddog Well-Known Member

Sounds like a blast, Wish I could go calling in Wyoming. Gizzards I think I could do with out though.

8. Len Backus

Len Backus Administrator Staff Member

Justin, thanks so much. I enjoyed it immensely, except the chicken parts.

9. prkrgrp

prkrgrp Well-Known Member

nice job .
    It's always nice to call em in even if you don't get em all.
    I hunted an area for 9 months before i finally killed a dog.

the more you go the more you learn about the song dogs instincts.

10. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I am with ya on that Len. Don't do Guts or Nuts.

Jeff

11. szeitner

Come on Jeff, the testicle festival is just over the pass from you towards Missoula....come on! lol

12. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Ha! I know but I would only go for the beer. I will never say never, but I aint that hungry yet and the freezer is full.

Jeff :D

13. Justin2111

Justin2111 Well-Known Member

Well me and Seth bought a Foxpro jack attack decoy, went out and gave it a try today in an area called a lot and called in 2 shot 1 at 500! Got another one driving down a county road, all in all it was a good day! The Jack attack decoy is very light weight and quickly deploys!

14. szeitner

Well, when you come on over to this end of the state to do some dog hunting, the beers and nuts will be on the table! lol