Leica lrf 800 on deer sized game, how far??

flopduster

Looking for an upgrade to my Bushnell compact 800 and ran across one of these, I know Leica is top notch and wonder how far I can expect under reasonable conditions to range game. My disapointment with the Buchnell is its lack of ability to range game past 450 or so. Looking for something that will range game well to 700 or so.

thanks

From my experience with the LRF 800 it will not do much better than what you have, you can expect 450 to 500 yards consistantly. About all I could ever get mine to range at 700 to 800 yards was a cedar tree, if the sun was not too bright. I also tried an LRF 1200 and was not impressed with it either.

I went with the Swarovski unit not long after they first came out. It claims to have a 1500 yard range. I have ranged deer and elk with it at well over 1000 yards, and a tree next to a deer or elk at 1500 to 1800 yards many times. If you steady it on rest of some kind it will range trees or hillsides at over 2000 yards. The Swaro unit is the only rangefinder I have had in my hands that will actually range day in and day out in field conditions as far (and farther) than advertised. I know they are expensive, but they work.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.