Leica LRF?????'s

LOBO

Leica LRF?????\'s

I have a Leica LRF 800 non-scan model. I took it out this morning and I could not get it to read in some instances. Other times it would give me different readings on the same target. Variance was between 8-24 yards difference. I was ranging a 12" steel gong that is painted white and a fullsize steel IPSC target painted white.On the
12" gong I got readings from 382-399 yards. It is aupposed to be at 400 yards. I could not get a reading on the IPSC target. It is at 600 yards. Both the targets were in the shade. Does this adversely affect the rangefinders abilities? I put a new battery in the rangefinder less than 2 weeks ago. If I do need to send it in to be checked, does anyone have that contact info?

Re: Leica LRF?????\'s

Try mounting it on a tripod and see what it does. It's possible you're reading off of different surfaces.

I was resting the rangefinder on a sandbag on the hood of my truck. I had no problen holding the 12" gong inside the led square at 400 yards. I too thought that might be a contributing factor so thats why I used the rest. It was steady but the rangefinder still did the same thing.

Usually you don't get the most out of range finders on sunny, bright days. Early in the morning, late in the afternoon or cloudy days would give you good readings at longer distances. They don't seem to range very good on white objects to my experience. When you were holding it on the sand bags, make sure you don't have anything bright or shiny below the instrument neither a piece of anything producing a shadow in front of the lens. If after trying all those things you still have problems, you might have to send it to the factory. Even the inexpensive Bushnell 1000 that I have would show the difference when I take a step forward or backward. Good luck to you!

Even with a bright day you should be able to range farther than that. I'd send it to Leica to have them check it out.

I just got back from trying it again and same results. It will go out to Leica in the a.m.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.