Leica crf 1600 vs Leupold RX-1000 and other compact range finders

I have a Nikon Gold 1200 range finder and when I went hunting in Wyoming last fall it would consistently range to 800 yds. on antelope. Only once I was able to range one on the sky line at 1153 yds. Except for that one time It would not range past 800 yds., but would do it every time out to but not past 800.

My buddy has a Leupold RX-1000 and it won't go past 400 yds. and he likes mine better.

nikon gold rangefinder - Adorama.com

If you compare prices most places will beat this price. Try the Gear Shop here or sponsers here on LRH if you are interested in this one.

joseph

Squeeze,
I actually have a thread Leica crf vs Zeiss prf range finders. I have many Leupold scopes and love them. But as far as range finders IMO the Leica is above and beyond. My buddy has the RX-1000. I am not impressed at all with it, neither is he. I would buy the Leica if I was choosing between the two.

so has leica figured out the issues they were having with the 1600? I've personally tried 2 different ones and both of them did not range anywhere near to what they claimed. i've also read a lot of threads about guys having a lot of issues with them.

couldn't get one to range past 600-700. good conditions also, no fog, rain, etc...
the 2nd one was better but still has a very hard time past 1k..

just curious if i missed something, and maybe they figured out their problem with them?

I have a Leica 1600 and it works excellent easily ranging 1600-1700 yards. Sounds like a few had troubles but most have had no troubles. Get one try it out real good right away and if doesn't range excellent return it.Make sure the dealer will take it back or let you try it plenty outside the store.

I think you sould think about the Bushnell Elite 1600 ,,it has the ARC for bow and rifle.I got one this week and it has ranged every think from looking in to the sun....ranging 635 to ranging a building at 1775 yards I love it ........I have a
leica 1200 and i can't rage any thing at 400 yards peace of junk.

Had to be something wrong with your Leica 1200 they have a excellent track record and have been highly regarded.I would have returned it for exchange or refund.

I went hunting on Thursday, but because my Leica CRF1600 was only landing on Friday, i had to take a Nikon 440. In the field i was unable to range anything past 240yds and had to pass up on several buck because i was unable to get a range on them. (we were culling Springbuck and were only allowed to shoot brain shots)

I unpacked the CRF 1600 as soon as i got home on Sunday afternoon and what a beast it is. I have no problem ranging anything i choose up to 800yds and it returns a reading every time. The ballistic feature is however not up to par with the quality of the optics and rangefinding capability of the Leica and here i would have liked to see something more sophisticated.

If Leica added a USB connection and PC/Mac software that allowed you to create your own holdover tables that allowed for MV, BC, bullet weight, click value, zero range and scope height inputs, you would have a package that would blow anything else right out of the water.

The fact that it can range up to 1600yds does not mean it is only for those that need 1600yds, but having the extra range just makes it much more reliable on smaller or harder to range objects at the ranges that you do shoot at.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.