Lee collet neck sizing die - 300RUM

Footsore

Does anyone use a Lee Collet Neck Sizing die? I have heard that they give very good accuracy and long case life. I haven't seen them listed in 300 RUM but am wondering if a 300 H&H die would do the job as they are the same length, Or is the 300 RUM case just too fat in the body?

The regular collet dies are big enough for a standard .532 belted mag. They will custom make larger ones, big enough for the RUM. I'm guessing they aren't actually using a larger collet though and you could get away with boring out the base of the H&H one.

I have no idea about the RUM part of your question but I do use a lee collet die and it produces very true ammo. As a matter of fact on most rounds I have less than .001 runout on the bullet. I did however notice that was not the case until i switched to the forester co-ax press...but that is a whole different thread....(but it was less than .002 on the RCBS)

The length to the neck/shoulder junction is longer on the RUM, you'll probably need to use a spacer between the shell holder and collet.

Thanks for your replies. Even if they are good I don't know that it would be worth the effort getting one custom made and I haven't the skills or tools to modify one.

Lee will make you the collet die you need for ~$60 IIRC.

The LCD is worth it.

If they make a LCD for the cartridge I load I'll use it almost exclusively.

I even modify LCD's to work with other cartridges than the ones they're designed for.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.