Lee collet neck sizing die - 300RUM

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Footsore, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Footsore

Footsore Well-Known Member

Does anyone use a Lee Collet Neck Sizing die? I have heard that they give very good accuracy and long case life. I haven't seen them listed in 300 RUM but am wondering if a 300 H&H die would do the job as they are the same length, Or is the 300 RUM case just too fat in the body?

2. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

The regular collet dies are big enough for a standard .532 belted mag. They will custom make larger ones, big enough for the RUM. I'm guessing they aren't actually using a larger collet though and you could get away with boring out the base of the H&H one.

3. AtownBcat

AtownBcat Well-Known Member

I have no idea about the RUM part of your question but I do use a lee collet die and it produces very true ammo. As a matter of fact on most rounds I have less than .001 runout on the bullet. I did however notice that was not the case until i switched to the forester co-ax press...but that is a whole different thread....(but it was less than .002 on the RCBS)

4. KRP

KRP Well-Known Member

The length to the neck/shoulder junction is longer on the RUM, you'll probably need to use a spacer between the shell holder and collet.

5. Footsore

Footsore Well-Known Member

Thanks for your replies. Even if they are good I don't know that it would be worth the effort getting one custom made and I haven't the skills or tools to modify one.

6. Sennaspeed

Sennaspeed Well-Known Member

Lee will make you the collet die you need for ~$60 IIRC.

The LCD is worth it.

If they make a LCD for the cartridge I load I'll use it almost exclusively.

I even modify LCD's to work with other cartridges than the ones they're designed for.