Neck sizing BH .308 with Lee Collet Die

goattman

Looking for a little advice. Been reloading straight sided handgun ammo for years, but new to shouldered rifle cartridges. I am reloading once fired Black Hills, using a Lee Collet die for neck sizing only. I tested on five empties and this is what I got. Does it sound correct to those with experience?

Cart #Dia beforeDia after
1 .3446 .3313
2 .Looking for a little advice. Been reloading straight sided handgun ammo for years, but new to shouldered rifle cartridges. I am reloading once fired Black Hills, using a Lee Collet die for neck sizing only. I tested on five empties and this is what I got. Does it sound correct to those with experience?

Cart Dia before Dia after
1 .3446 .3313
2 .3443 .3311
3 .3446 .3311
4 .3439 .3310
5 .3441 .3310

So, with an average outside diameter after sizing of 0.3311 and case wall of 0.014 x2 gives me an I side sized diameter of 0.3031

Does this seem correct?

Don't sweat the outside measurement, unless you're concerned with clearance in a tight neck chamber. The inside neck diameter is what's important. I swear by LCDs and all of my LCDs give .002 to .003 neck tension. If you desire more or less tension, Lee will make you a custom mandrel for 5 bucks.

Since you are new to the LCD, I suggest you search this site as well as others to properly set up the die. If it is not properly set up, you can (will) apply too much force to the die and push the mandrel out the top of the die, stripping the aluminum top nut in the process.

I agree with Keith -and love the LCD.

If you ever have trouble getting your brass to neck size -say you are getting too little neck tension -your brass needs annealed -it's not the die.
Load some ammo -..

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts