Leaving for Montana in Two Weeks- Can't Wait

Bud Meadows

Leaving for Montana in Two Weeks- Can\'t Wait

I'll be leaving in 2 weeks to hunt muleys for the fifth time with Hidden Valley Outfitters. I first met Len when he called me checking references on them. He went out the following year and made an awesome shot the first day, as I remember it. Here's a picture from my 2003 hunt with HVO. The shot wasn't really "long range" (270 yds), but I wasn't going to let this bad boy get away, as he was bailing out of a canyon with his harem of does. I'll post pictures from this year's hunt when I return.

Re: Leaving for Montana in Two Weeks- Can\'t Wait

Good luck Bud

And bring one of those beasts back to michigan. Lucky Dog!!

Joe

As always I wish you the best of luck. Oh and by the way, I killed an antelope doe at the foot of Blue Mountain just last Wednesday. Part of Blue Mountain is on the very north end of Hidden Valley's property. It's also the highest hill out there. If I play my cards right I hope to be hunting mule deer on Blue Mountain in a few weeks once the rut starts. Just so's you know's, the antler growth this year is the absolute best it's been in the 12 years I've lived here. We had a mild winter, followed by a perfect spring and summer. The antler growth is as good as it gets! Hold out for another big'un.

Bud I'll be lookin' for pics in 3 weeks. Good luck

Big Sky: I take it you must know Tracey Weyer and his family. I'm excited to hear that the racks this year are looking good. If you live in the Wibaux area, maybe we could meet for a beer at one of the cowboy bars in scenic downtown Wibaux.

Bud, I have not met Tracy or his family. The north end of his lease is about as far south as I hunt off that Lost Hwy you drive in on. I live in Sidney. Tracy's lease is about half way between Sidney and Wibaux. When I killed that doe antelope I was hunting on the Gartner/Denoh Ranch which owns most of Blue Mountain and the next several miles to the north of Blue Mountain. Pretty tough to get access down that way and the ranch I mentioned is no exception. The area you are hunting is very good as you know. You should see a keep buck or two.

Well, I just got back from Montana. Other than a rainout on day 3, saw at least 5 or 6 4X4's every day. Shot this buck on day 4. He was the biggest of SEVEN bucks chasing one hot doe. It was a cross canyon shot of a little less than 300 yards.

Bud, that's a pretty buck. I was wondering how things turned out for you. I assume you saw some bigger during your hunt? You should've went out in the rain anyway. We did and it turned out pretty darn good for my son. He killed a dandy muley. We got soaked to the bone and I'm paying for it with a terrible head cold, but it was worth every second. Again congrats on you buck.

Big Sky:
Yeah, I saw several bucks bigger than the one I got. With the blizzard that was scheduled to come through on Monday, I figured a "bird in hand" was better than tag soup. Actually, I did go out in the rain on Saturday. The gumbo didn't allow us access to the prime spots on the ranch we were hunting, so I had the outfitter drop me off in the morning and I backpacked a couple of miles to several canyons that had heavy cedar cover, where I figured the muleys would hole up. Sure enough, when the rain let up around 3:00PM, I saw 7 muleys get up out of their beds and start moving. None were shooters, but it still was a fun challenge to gut it out alone in such tough conditions.

B.S.: Awesome pictures and stories. When my two boys were still young, we hunted a lot together. Now that they're both grown and moved out of state, I miss their company. If I can just convince my granddaughter to hunt with me, I'll have a new hunting partner for a few more years.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.