Learing to shoot light rifles.

A suppressor is nothing more than a muzzle brake inside a can. It slows down, redirects, and cools escaping gasses. A 7 lbs rifle is still pretty light but it changes the recoil to something similar to my 7 lbs 8 oz 6mm Creedmoor.
Yep, I'm tracking on how a suppressor works. I'm suggesting to you that it's stabilizing your barrel harmonics. It's probably also mitigating the propensity for your muzzle to flip due to the added weight at the furthest point of the rifle.

Good luck!

I'm not sure I agree. I believe it's consistency that matters most. If you could put identical pressure on the rifle every shot from shoulder, to grip pressure, I don't believe accuracy should be impacted, whether on a traditional rest or the Benchmaster that I use. Unless there is something at play I don't understand, muzzle jump with identical holds should provide consistent accuracy regardless of the method used. I've been puzzled because this has not been my experience with really light rifles (<6lbs).
For shot to shot consistency when testing loads, I prefer the Benchmaster for light rifles (<7.5lbs) or heavy recoiling cartridges 340wby/300wby/7STW. Of course, I always do my final sight in from bags because the Benchmaster will cause impact to be 1 to 11/2" lower.
Well believe what you want. I explained to you what you continue to say you can't figure out. The gentleman in the above video also explains this phenomenon and you can see it happening in the video. You can believe what I said, or not, your choice.

Last edited:
I have a pencil barrel Rem. 700 Mtn. Rifle predecessor 270 that I've had to work with in the past. Is it possible that the suppressor is exaggerating the bad harmonics of the barrel or any flaws in your marksmanship? I know that mine gave me a run for my money. I finally got it to put the first 2 touching and the 3rd. 1 inch low and 1/4 inch left at 100 yds. That was the best and was consistent. That was no muzzle brake or suppressor. I was shooting some warm loads.

I just remembered that it was about a max load of IMR 4064 and a 140 Bt. I may have experimented with mag primers, it seems like I did at some point.

Well believe what you want. I explained to you what you continue to say you can't figure out. The gentleman in the above video also explains this phenomenon and you can see it happening in the video. You can believe what I said, or not, your choice.
Can you please explain why accuracy changes if pressure is consistent? Secondly, it works perfectly for heavier and much hard kicking cartridges that have considerably more muzzle jump than the light rifle. Why the difference? I saw the video…and yes, really hard kicking cartridges or light rifles with lesser cartridges will both jump upward. Why does it work for the one with considerably more muzzle jump?

Can you please explain why accuracy changes if pressure is consistent? Secondly, it works perfectly for heavier and much hard kicking cartridges that have considerably more muzzle jump than the light rifle. Why the difference? I saw the video…and yes, really hard kicking cartridges or light rifles with lesser cartridges will both jump upward. Why does it work for the one with considerably more muzzle jump?
Sorry, I'd have to watch you shoot both rifles and tell you what's different. Maybe a friend who knows proper shooting techniques could watch you.

Mark and Ducky, I'm sure your ortho surgeons may have told you, you can, if you wish, have the plates removed after your respective fracture are firmly and completely healed. They have done their job, and two to three years post op, if they really bother you, they can be removed. Surgeon may or may not want to and also at that point the question becomes what the insurance pay will, if anything, and do you feel like getting up on the table again, and 6 weeks of recovery. Of Course, Sky Diving and Heli Skiing are out!!

I use a Caldwell shooting bag and a shooting sock filled with rice under the butt. I shoot a Ruger MKII in 30-06 with a thin 22" barrel, a 30-06 in an 03A3, a couple of 300 winmags, two 35 Whelens (very heavy recoil with 250 grain Speers-which I found on Midway Friday as Factory Overruns, and bought 400 of) and I always zero with the rifle resting on the bag and allowing free recoil. I try to set the rest high enough that I am not bending into the rifle, but sitting straight, so recoil is the same as if I were standing. I have no problems getting my rifles to group this way, and my impact point doesn't change when shooting standing or from the bench. The Ruger is around 7.8 lbs with scope, which is as light as I want a medium caliber rifle to be. The Remington CDL is maybe 9lbs with scope in .35 Whelen, and I shoot 225 to 250 grain bullets at 2750 fps and 2675 fps respectively. I finally put a muzzle brake on it about 4 years ago, but I had fired around 1,500 rounds through it before I did. The muzzle brake doesn't make me more accurate, but it does let me shoot more at a given sitting. The .35 is sub-moa. So is the 03a3 and one of the 300's. The Ruger is about 1" at 100 yards, with the cold barrel shot going to the same place every time. I've finally gotten the stainless steel .300 WinMag to go inside 1" this year. The second Whelen is pretty new, and I'm still working on loads for it, but it shows good potential to be sub moa.