Colt Light Rifles

Blacktail

Anyone have any feedback on these. I have never seen one in person let alone shot one. My gunsmith said he may be able to find one for me in 300 win. I was wondering on weight, accuracy etc.. Thinking bout it for a pack gun for mule deer. Hoping to get it in synthetic stainless is it possible. Thanks

If I remember correctly... Melvin Forbes once sold Ultra Light Arms to Colt. Colt took over production, made some desight changes, then defaulted on the sale due to a technicality. They never paid Melvin for his company. So Mel takes the company back, re-names it "New Ultra Light Arms, and picks up where he left off. The Colt Light Rifles were the offspring of that illegitmate affair. I've heard mixed reviews about their accuracy, but would probably buy one anyway since it's a bolt rifle with the magic pony on the side.

When Mel Forbs was building his ultra light guns at first they were known as "Ultra Lite Arms" then he sold out to Colt and they made the same guns of less quality due to mass production makeing for less quality control and the price they were selling for made them un popular and Colt dropped it.

Now Mel builds them again known as "NULA" New Ultra Lite Arms.

I have only ever seen one opf these guns and it shot decient , in the 3/4 moa range with taylored reloads , it was lite weight but I think a built up Remington could be made very close in weight and much more accurate.

If I run accross a deal on one I might buy it but it would have to be a good deal , maybe $400 but no more but thats me personaly

I researched this rifle on the web about 2 years ago and came away unimpressed by what I had read. So I never pursued one any further. I've never owned one. Just researched the forums for some feedback from other owners.

Last edited:
Colt bought ULA and redesigned the parts and farmed them out to many (the cheapest) mftrs . Consequently they had quality and fitting issues that killed the rifle.

Melvin bought it back when Colt folded it and renamed it the NULA (New Ultra Light Arms) The Colt Light rifles only have 3 minor parts that are interchangable with the ULA models. They are absolutely not the same guns. Melvin Forbes (ULA/NULA owner) a couple years ago was in the process of tracking down the different mftrs and buying up their stock of Colt Light Rifle parts from them. I am not current on his success with this but he was working on it and said if pushed for $ he could make most of the parts if needed for repairs, however this was 3-4 yrs ago.

The ULA model 20 (SA) weighs 4.5 lbs with the Colt version about 5.5 lbs.
The ULA model 22/24 (LA) weighs in at around 5.5 lbs with the Colt version about 6 to 6.5. They are chrome moly only, no SS.

the ULAs with load development will go .5-.75 MOA routinely. I have had 3 of them (2 in 7mm-08 and one in 6.5x55)

From what I have seen and heard the Colt versions go .75-1 MOA. I have shot one in 300 Win Mag.

Going price for the LA light rifles is $450-600 (NIB). Several show up on 24 hr campfire routinely and people often ask to buy one and get offers for sale.

Bottom line decent rifles in the weight range they are with decent (MOA) accuracy and price is right.

BH

Good. someone had better info than my less than perfect total recall. The local Scheels had a Colt Light Rifle earlier this year for $350.00. It had been fired, but looked really good. I almost bought it, even though I'm left-handed. It was fortunate that money was tight back then.

I almost bought one when they hit the market and I do remember the mixed reviews.

That being said....I came to own a tikka t-3 in 300 win mag in the last year or so. What a delightfully light and accurate rifle with a super smooth bolt and trigger to boot. I can't help but think it's the best $550 bargain out there.

I came to own a tikka t-3 in 300 win mag in the last year or so. What a delightfully light and accurate rifle with a super smooth bolt and trigger to boot. I can't help but think it's the best $550 bargain out there.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but I tend to agree. I've got two of them in 7mm Rem Mag. They both shoot 160 gr Nosler Accubonds to about 0.6 moa @300 yds. One of them shoots 168 Berger VLDs to about 0.4 moa @300yds. They've got about the best out of the box factory triggers I've ever come across. The action is smooth as silk. I know several other shooters that have the T3s also and they just seem to flat out shoot. Deadly accurate for a factory rifle at that price. The only flaw I've found in them is that the factory supplied front aluminum scope ring is the only one of the two rings that is mechanically locked to the receiver. Other than that both factory rings just ride in a dovetail recessed in the receiver. The front ring has a steel pin that protrudes from the base of the ring down into a hole in the top of the receiver. Well... that steel pin will kick out and deform the back side of the front ring under recoil from 7mm mags, 300 mags, 338 mags..., any of the harder kicking calibers. Virtually every one I've examined shows the aluminum ring bulging out adjacent to that steel pin. The solution is to toss the factory rings and intall rings or bases that screw down into the four tapped holes in the top of the receiver. Talley rings would be the lightest, and I know several owners happy with them. But there are separate base and ring offerings from Warne and some others. Another recommended upgrade is an aftermarket LimbSaver recoil pad for any of the magnum calibers. A little easier on the shoulder than the factory pad. After that the only thing the T3s need is shot.

I have used a number of the Colt Light Rifles as the basis for "project" rifles with excellent success. I had one made into a light weight 300 WM - 6.8 lbs: rifle, scope, rings and bases, sling and 3 in mag and 6 on the stock, no brake so terrible recoil but 1/4" groups with 180 gr Banes …. and sore shoulder even with recoil pad!

Recent Posts