Lead Angle for 7mm Berger 180's

SidTheKidd

What sort of lead angle are you guys using on your reamers for the 7mm 180 VLD's? I was thinking I could use a throat reamer in my rifle in order to match up the lead angle in my rifle for the VLD's.

My Pacific tool and gauge 7 rem mag reamer has a 1 degree 30 minute throat angle. Worked great with the 180 VLDs jammed into rifling.

My thinking on this has always been that the leade angle doesn't matter. Why? The corners of the rifling where the bullet first contact washes away (erodes) during barrel break in so that by the time you have 50 rounds thru the barrel, the angle is something different from what you calculated and cut.

I don't know of any specific angles for leads that have produced better or worse precision with VLD's (or any other bullet designs for that matter) over the life of a barrel.

My thinking is to go with a relatively shallow angle because it's going to erode to something shallow anyway. By starting with a shallow angle, break in requires less rounds.

-Bryan

Keep in mind I haven't paid close attention to this, so the following is my perception which may not be accurate...

I think 1.5 degrees is considered shallow, and 3 degrees or more (which is sometimes used for VLD bullets) is considered steep.

More important than the leade angle, is the throat length IMO. Throat length will determine how far the bullet is seated into the case which is important for:
1) Internal case capacity
2) base of the bullet interfering with the 'donut' at the base of the case neck
3) will the round be mag length feed-able and be able to reach the riflings.

-Bryan

Thanks Bryan,

I am getting ready to order a reamer for another 7mm-300 win I am building. I have plenty of room in the mag box with the use of a Wyatts box or the Seekind DMB I have. This rifle will be for the use of 180 Bergers only and it will have a 1 in 9 Hart with 6 lands. I have thought of placing the top of the boat tail right at the bottom of the neck for greatest case capacity, so only the boat tail in into the case powdr area. Then have the reamer ground for it to be just off the lands.

Any input you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff,

I agree with your plan for throat length, except I would leave a little room between the bullet and riflings in case it likes a jump.

-Bryan

Jeff,

I agree with your plan for throat length, except I would leave a little room between the bullet and riflings in case it likes a jump.

-Bryan

Good thought! The last one I did shot good with them close to lands but when seated off the lands (.115" to fit in the factory box) they shot extremely well. I want to get this reamer perfect so I will add another .030"~.040" throat. Any farther and I would start to worry about not enough bullet in the neck since this is a hunting rifle. Neck length is .230"~.240"

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.