Lawton M7500 BR receiver, Manner stock and Rock barrel tests started.

I've got a Manners stock coming in about 2 weeks.I ordered the RH tactical GAT stock with BDL inlet with a heavier fill.About 4.5 pounds.When I get it,it's getting shipped to Shawn Carlock with my Rem action,Pac-Nor bbl,and a new Wyatt's outdoors magazine system that will hold 7 rounds of RUM for a 338 Edge build.

Re: Lawton M7500 BR receiver, Manner stock and Rock barrel tests star

Kirby:

I just got back from a week in Idaho. Glad to hear the barrel is working out great so far. I got your e-mail and along with this post you've got my attention big time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I hope the torture test goes well so I can get back to flinging Wildcats. Got a weeks worth of reading to catch up on, but at least there's meat in the freezer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Keep us posted on the torture tests when you time to continue.

SS,

She will be pushed hard when I get back from Idaho and hunting with Shawn. The receiver will take some serious pressure so I will see just what this barrel will handle with the 200 gr ULD RBBT before or if they start letting loose. I suspect in this 30" barrel there will not be a problem in cool temps. I will more then likely pressure out before I start seeing bullet failures.

We will see though and I will report what I see. Going to prove the system very well!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby, How are you liking that extractor design, any problems? Thanks, Dave

Ackleyfan,

Originally I was a bit concerned because the ejector window on the right side of the receiver is very minumal for the size and diameter of the 7mm AM but it works perfectly. If I pull the bolt back slow, the fat 7mm AM case just spins out and hangs out of the receiver which is what I like for a dedicated long range rifle, keeps the brass out of the dirt and dust.

Working the bolt slightly faster nicely flips the case clear of the receiver for big game hunting so I am very happy with the design.

Kirby Allen(50)

Was working in the shop yesterday and headed out to test fire a freshly barreled receiver and noticed the wind has dies down considerably. I was going to head to my favorite whitetail rattling spot in the evening and decided with the calm winds I would run up and test the heavy 7mm AM before the evening hunt.

Got up and found that there were no deer in the area to spook away so I found a good small target rock at 987 yards. I had set the scope for the proper drop to my drop chart on the first range test but in the severe cross winds I had no idea on the horizontal hold so that is what I wanted to get dialed in.

Found the hold on the drop chart and let the first rounds go. Height was perfect but the bullet landed about 3 feet to the right in the calm conditions!!!

Gave her two moas to the left and shot again, almost to the click the bullet landed still a hair over a foot to the right.

Gave the Mk4 another moa and shot another round. The 200 gr ULD RBBT landed about 2" high and about 3" to the right. All three shots were in a perfect horizontal line as I dailed into the rock.

I gave the scope one more click to the left and let the barrel cool.

Then I started looking for a target rock at the outer limits of my reach with the TMR reticle. I found one very small rock which looked to be around 3" in diameter. Ranged it and only got two readings as I was ranging into the lowering sun. 1297 and 1301 yards were the two readings I got from the Swari RF.

My drop chart lists a 4.9 mil hold for 1300 yards so I put the bottom hash of the TMR reticle dead center on the rock. It actually covered it up from sight the rock was so small.

Tickled the trigger and dust flew just an inch or two above the rock. Let another round fly and just an inch or so to the left of the first one the second one landed. Threw a final third shot and that one split the difference between the two and was roughly 2" higher.

Total group size was just over 3" so I was plenty happy with that and perfectly centered. They impacted exactly where they should have for a 4.9 mil hold using a solid 5.0 mil hold, just slightly high but this would be of no concern even on a target the size of a rock chuck as they were so close.

I was going to head up this morning to try to fill my mule deer doe tag at a range of at least 1000 yards. The deer were there but the wind was not cooperating, a 15-20 mph crosswind so I backed out unnoticed and will come back another day. No sense risking a wounded animal with that wind and no sense spooking the herd out of the area. It will happen, hopefully this week.

If nothing else I have more long range practice to get in around working in the shop. So far though , I am feeling very good about the rifle for the Idaho hunt!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Hi Kirby i think you have already posted some pics of the extractors and bolts if so could you please post a link or some more pics?

Cheers Bill
Australia

Yes tahnk you both

Cheers Bill
Australia

Fifty, what's the thread pattern on Lawton actions?I have an extra bbl from my Kelbly, 1-1/16"x18"TPI I'd like to put on a Lawton action if I can.

Im sure the smaller actions are the same as a remmy 700 1.062x16 tpi the larger actions, 408 type are 1.187x16 tpi

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.