Lawton Barrels

Like I have already said, find a manufacturer that has made them for a while with all the bugs worked out of them. Someone with several thousand manufactured with with a good track record and all the gremlins resolved is a great place to start. Spending money for one from an upstart company could result in similar problems to the Lawton actions. There is a lot more to making an action than just having square and concentric components and/or properties. Remember you are crawling behind 60,000 to 70,000 psi in pressure.

I wonder how much liability insurance one needs to manufacture actions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

James

Kirby
I just read your response to wildcat. My 338am is going to have the Lawton M8000 Reaceiver. If there is any chance there might be a problem let's go with some one else.
I don't feel that my smith should have to work on a custom action to make it right. but I trust your judgement 100% so I will wait to hear, you can e-mail me on this for what you think. The responses do not sound good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

New shooter, I feel the same way about the action. I ordered a Lawton 7500 Action, for my 300-WSM project, and I don't want my smith to have to do work on a custom action to make it perfect. So, I have decided to use a Nesika Model L Action for my project. I will use the Lawton Action for another project. I am sure the Lawton actions are good, however, I don't want to have to have work done to it to make it custom. I want my 300-WSM project to be as accurate as possible, as I will be shooting small ground squirrels out to 1000 yards, so I need all the accuracy I can get.

Wildcat

I am not trying to spook anyone away from the Lawton receivers or barrels. I am just saying they are in the same class as all the other receivers out there for that price range. If you have a Lawton on order with me, I would not cancel the order because I will make it true and square if it does not show up that way.

The M8000 and M7500 receivers are much better then the M7000. There is a noticable quality difference between the two as the M7000 is a true economy grade receiver.

Still if you order receivers from Stiller or any other custom receiver in this price range you will see the same variation from what I have seen by actually measuring different sample receivers.

Again, I would not run away from the Lawton receivers, just realize that the M7000 is what it is, an economy line receiver and Barney will tell you the exact same thing.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
As such, I have designed my own receiver design which should be available this summer that will solve these issues and also offer things no other receiver that I know of to date offers in a receiver that will fit into a Rem 700 stock and use Rem 700 accessaries.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't news this big deserve its own thread? Or did I miss it?

What, when, how much, and can I be on a waiting list or something?

After reading Kirby's disturbing report above I checked the Stiller squareness issue out with the smith that is building my .243AI .
Below is the result of his testing .

Quote : "I currently have 3 Stiller actions of various models in stock, 2 different Bat actions and currently only 1 Stolle Panda. All six were checked and not one was more than the .00025" that I ask".

Maybe you've been a bit unlucky lately Kirby ?

which Stiller's did you check? Are they the Pedators?
I think these are the one that his post is talking about.

Bushchook,

I am checking my e-mails and such remotely as I am currently on an exotic sheep hunt with my dad and brother so I will have to keep this short.

I would also like to ask which model of Stiller receiver you have. I am referring to the Predator receivers which is their economy Rem 700 replacement receiver, not their upper end match grade receiver.

This simply proves my point, its the variation from one receiver to another that you see.

As I have mentioned, many of the Lawton M7000 receivers I have measured were on par with the Nesika and BAT receivers as far as squareness. Some were mic'ed out with marginally higher numbers and a few were quite a bit more then I like to see in a receiver for my standards.

That also said, I have built on several of these receivers just to check to see how this may or may not effect the rifles accuracy, to be blunt, I have not had a problem with any of them meeting my accuracy requirement of 1/2 moa for three shots at 100 yards.

To be honest, I could not tell a difference to be honest as all have easily passed my range tests with flying colors. This is why I say, do not run from the Lawtons or Stillers if you have one on order. If they are fitted correctly with a quality barrel with a quality chamber you will get a 1/2 moa or better rifle.

I am sure some are asking why go with these receivers over a trued Rem 700 then. Well, there are several reasons.

The Lawtons have a vastly superior receiver design as far as receiver rigidity that you can not get with a trued Rem 700. Also, as the rail base is on a single plain, it offers a much more stress free scope mounting system again increasing the strength of the rear of the receiver as well.

The Lawtons also have a Sako style extractor and bolt stop, both big bonuses over the Rem 700s factory extractor and bolt stop.

To be honest, they are flat out cheaper then a trued Rem 700 once you get the Rem trued and upgraded with all that will be needed especially if you upgrade to an aftermarket trigger.

So, while it sounds like I am coming down hard on the Lawton M7000 receivers, that is really not the case. Being an anal rifle builder, things like a couple ten thou more in variation across the bolt face are things that keep me up at night but in reality, their effects on most rifles and shooting conditions that we experience, the effects on accuracy this may cause is not really measurable due to other factors that influence a rifles accuracy and consistancy output much more.

If your looking at simple numbers on a receiver, there is no denying that the economy line of receivers that are Rem 700 replacement receivers that cost under $800-$900 will have some variation from receiver to receiver as far as squareness.

Again, I have tested them without trueing and found this did not prevent the rifles I have built from meeting my 1/2 moa accuracy requirements and as such I can not say I would not use them for a customers rifle.

Again, being an anal rifle builder that thinks in terms of 0.0001" when dealing with a receivers squareness that I true, it is just hard for me to see that and leave it alone is all.

That is the reason for me designing my personal receiver which will have a full review here very soon as soon as it has been tested and proven. I have had this receiver design in mind for a couple years to be honest, just now got to the point where I can push forward and bring it to life financially.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby,
So thats where youve been the last few days! Thats livin! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Good luck! and your first words to me "WE WANT PICS!".

And to keep this in line, I think my Lawton 7500 gonna be just fine!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.