Lathe question

I would like to know what lathes are a good starting point. What size will work for action trueing and bolt, action, and barrel work. Basically looking for information on a lathe that will be used for action trueing and sorts and nothing real high tech but a basic simple lathe that will get the job done. Are there any types and models to avoid.

There are many great Lathes available depending on the price you want to pay.

If you are just starting out, I would recommend a Lathe with these basic features that would be simple to use and cost a reasonable amount.

Hear is just one that has the features and size that you will need and would get you started.

13" x 40" 2 HP Deluxe Gap Bed Lathe with Taper Attachment

Just an option

J E CUSTOM

There are many great Lathes available depending on the price you want to pay.

If you are just starting out, I would recommend a Lathe with these basic features that would be simple to use and cost a reasonable amount.

Hear is just one that has the features and size that you will need and would get you started.

13" x 40" 2 HP Deluxe Gap Bed Lathe with Taper Attachment

Just an option

J E CUSTOM

Yes I agree that would make a good lathe for someone starting out. It is very similar to my 13x40 MSC lathe. And it looks like it might have a heavy base under it instead of a tin can bottom like most of the Asian lathes have. I see it weighs 1500 lbs. witch will help it to be more ridged. My MSC lathe has a cast iron bottom and weighs 2000 lbs and that does help make it a pretty good little lathe.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.