Which Lathe For Barrel Work (CNC Lathe vs. Engine Lathe)

Kepper

I am not a gunsmith by trade. I am not a machinist by trade. However, I often work on my own guns and also make other various items with my small HAAS Mill. It's a TM-1P with a rotary so it's 4 axis. I use Fusion 360 to design and generate the CAM file which I then xfer to the mill and start cutting metal. That's all good, but I want to start finishing barrels and fitting them to actions. No can do with my mill.

I am going to attend some NRA gunsmith courses summer 2024 at Trinidad Gunsmith School in CO. Although I'm fairly knowledgeable with setup and manufacturing with my mill, I know nothing about using a lathe. I intend on purchasing a lathe before going to the classes but am not certain of which to buy; CNC Lathe or Traditional Gunsmithing (Engine) Lathe. I have never used a knee mill or engine lathe. Everything I've learned has been done with Fusion 360 and a HAAS CNC mill.

I'd enjoy hearing from someone who has experience with re-barreling and fitting those barrels to actions.

Threading and chambering a non NFA rifle barrel on your vertical mill is impossible. If your a CNC guy and have the financial resources get a HAAS tool room lathe. I don't do barrels for a living so I don't have the set up on my turning centers. My favorite lathe for my personal barrel work is a Hardinge HLV-H. A HAAS TRL is basically a CNC version. The setup is the same, you will just do your bore, face, and turning operations via the control.

PS. I have a couple HAAS tool room mills, I love um.