Gunsmithing lathe?

Chevytruckman

Looking for some pointers from some of you that may have your own as to some recommendations in what to look towards. I'd like to be able to true up actions, thread and chamber barrels, and misc other things. I see there are some cheaper ones out there but there's no point in spending money towards a machine not capable of the kind of tolerances needed in gunsmithing.

Looking for some pointers from some of you that may have your own as to some recommendations in what to look towards. I'd like to be able to true up actions, thread and chamber barrels, and misc other things. I see there are some cheaper ones out there but there's no point in spending money towards a machine not capable of the kind of tolerances needed in gunsmithing.

Do a search on this topic and you will find many discussions on which features you need and which features are desirable.

If you don't find the information, there are plenty of smiths that can and will help you.

J E CUSTOM

I went thru this several years ago, finaly found used Southbend at Univ. surplus site, with a LOT of tooling, 10x36" and it worked well for a few years, then after a long search and research period , sold Southbend and purchased EISEN 14x40, best unit for me. don't know what part of the country your in, but "out west' GOOD quality used lathe very difficult if not impossible to find, may have to travel to the more industrial areas to find used, good equipment.

Look at the Precision Matthews stuff, he has a fee gunsmith options, I run one if the early 1340gt lathes and it's phenomenal, Taiwan made not China and you can get it three phase with a VFD so you can run on 220 and have the benefits of variable speed and three phase motor. You can also get it delivered with the DRO installed. Best Warranty also at 5 years!!

If it were me I would get atlest a Taiwan lathe with 1 1/2 or bigger bore through the head and distance through head stock 36 to 40 inch bed
Precision Mathews have some made just for gun smithing they don't advertise it but if you call commercial machinery they can send the specs plus very good people to deal with

I'm tagging in...my plan is to have one by June...not sure which one...not many options under a grand...and those that are will not turn a barrel. It I'm fine with that for now!

I would recommend making friends with the machine shop in town. I bought my machines from a local machinist who also gave me instruction on how to use them and is still helpful 4 years later. They deliver them for me and helped me set them up. They also have provided service for the machines. I bought a used American made lathe and mill that I would never have been able to afford otherwise. Just realize before you get started that you will likely spend as much and more on tooling thab the machine.

I have kinda had my eye on the
PM1440 models for a little while now but was just looking for others inputs as well in case I overlooked something. I had looked at some older American made lathes but at some point I have some old Mosin's to play with, so I will need to be able to do metric threads as well as standard. Thanks for the input so far.

Received a new PM1340GT a few months ago, just got done threading and chambering a barrel (lots of fun BTW). I work on CNC mills and lathes for a living so I feel a have good experience to chime in. The ways and fit and finish on my lathe is very nice. All feed dials repeat and the power threading and feeding work great. The one down side was I ordered a single phase model and had some finish issues that were caused by pulsing out of the motor. A special drive belt and motor isolating mounts solve it but what a pain. For the money I think this is a great machine!

If it were me I would get atlest a Taiwan lathe with 1 1/2 or bigger bore through the head and distance through head stock 36 to 40 inch bed
Precision Mathews have some made just for gun smithing they don't advertise it but if you call commercial machinery they can send the specs plus very good people to deal with

I have found that these features will make a lot of difference in time and quality of Gunsmithing.
13 or 14'' swing
Gear Head
40'' + bed
6'' 3 jaw chuck and 8'' 4 jaw chuck
1.5 + spindle Inside diameter
Some where around 16 speeds with the slowest being around 45 rpm
A Steady and follow rest
220 Volt single phase motor
There are others features that will help improve set up but these in my opinion are essential and don't empty the bank account.

Spend the money one time and you will never regret it.

J E CUSTOM

It can be done easily enough with a 12x36 that has a headstock large enough to pass the barrel through. If you aren't contouring, I doubt the length is needed. Obviously a 14x40 is the perfect fit for all conditions if money allows. There is a ton of information on this topic outside this forum.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.