Larger diameter bullets allow more room for error?

I got 2640fps @ 2.865 coal with CFE223 in my 12tw. It won't shoot for me but it does have the speed to be effective in a tighter twist. Montana Marine posted a video with 2600fps with Rl17 from his 22" 12tw. I'm fairly certain my 26" would have more speed with Rl17 but with my typical DA being a minus number it won't matter with that pill.
That's what I like about this forum, you just never know when a person will come along with right tidbit of info. I used varget and it ate up the vase capacity. I have some n140, have to check the charts if that's near cfe 223. Thanks for the info

That's what I like about this forum, you just never know when a person will come along with right tidbit of info. I used varget and it ate up the vase capacity. I have some n140, have to check the charts if that's near cfe 223. Thanks for the info
MR2000 looks and acts the same as cfe223. I ordered some match (shooters world) It is a ball at the same burn rate and I believe it is damm near the same. Should know when I get it next week. Good luck

MR2000 looks and acts the same as cfe223. I ordered some match (shooters world) It is a ball at the same burn rate and I believe it is damm near the same. Should know when I get it next week. Good luck
Does the ball powder use less case capacity than extruded? I should make another thread lol

Yes by alot. I can put 62grains to the neck should of a 270 with Rl 26 or 4831ssc. I can put 70grns of magpro a ball in that same case

Steve, let me ask another question here. Do you think there would be a better wound channel with a fast twist 140ish 6.5 compared to a slow twist .30 at the same speed. 140 6.5cm and 168 .308.
I think twist rate is very important to terminal performance. The longer the bullet stays point oriented the better the terminal performance. Marginally stable bullets can be very accurate but suffer with out expansion on game due to yaw.

Outside of that there are too many variables to answer your question accurately.

Last edited:
No, this isn't quite like gaming the match and gaining the point by using a larger projectile to ever so slightly break the 10 ring for a shot that by all rights was a nine.

It's certainly easier to split a playing card at 25 yards with a .45 bullet than with a .22!
Prosperous New Year everyone.
Shoot well

It's not about cutting lines or even cutting anything. It's about tearing a hole that is larger than the bullet it self is. If your bullets are making caliber size wound channels on animals you are probably really good at tracking.
Shot a deer with a hard cast .45, broadside behind the shoulder...one time and will never do that again!

Everything I have read in this thread seems reasonable and correct to me, and the emphasis on good shot placement being the most important factor fits in with that. What I haven't seen is the connection between larger bullets and better BC's giving better down range velocity retention and better wind tolerance. That is why they use the BMG at 1000 yard match shooting. I hunt Nebraska white tails and mules out in the Sandhills and use either a 7mm or a .338 because I want to reach out to longer ranges with better accuracy and terminal energy.

Steve
Dutch Hall Rifles

Shot a deer with a hard cast .45, broadside behind the shoulder...one time and will never do that again!

I shot a doe at about 126 yards with a .440 Round ball. She dropped like a ton of bricks. Would I try the same move again? NO!!!

Now on to the OP question.

A bad shot is a bad shot no matter the caliber. BUT with that said a .308 will do more damage to the vitals then a .22 or a.243 or a.264 or a.277 or a .284 IF the we take bullet design and speed out of the question. A poor bullet is a poor bullet and wrong velocity is wrong velocity.

Now with that said if they all have the same speed and the best bullet for what you are going after the .308 would still do the job better. You say how can that be if they all kill it with one shot? There is regardless what some think. More room for a shot that might be less then ideal. Let face it WE the HUNTER'S are not perfect!!! WE can and WILL mess up. I feel we should do the best we can and not try to play the game and see how much we can get away with. But do are best to make each shot count.

There are so many variables that come into play. It's one of those questions that can go anywhere.

But as the old saying goes. There's no replacement for displacement.

And There's no replacement for a perfectly placed shot.

Think about this. Evena 22 SHORT can kill a elephant and it has been done!. Does that make it ok? NO, not a chance!

Just some thoughts put on paper. Don't burn me to bad!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts