Large Rifle/ LG Magnum Primers?

As some have stated, a standard primer works in my 338 win 210 with h4350 2730 fps
using a 225 speer bullet..........The story holds true for the 300 win and standard primers......

A friend of mine told me the other day that you can use large rifle primers in magnum cartridges. Is this true?

If you are using the Winchester "Ultra" 300 Magnum may I suggest using the Federal "Gold Medal" match 215 primers? All the guys that are into "extreme long range" precision shooting here at the "club" use them...so do I. When asked what primer he used, Harlod replied by saying, "there is only one real primer". He was refering to the Fed. GMM 215.

depends. not a good idea for really harsh cold temps...

I've been getting nice groups (avg. 1") with my Rem. 700 in .300 WM with 73 gr. H4831sc and 190 ABLR's using Fed. 215 match primers. The bullet is set off the lands about .005" and I get between 2800 and 2850 GPS on average without any signs of pressure.

However, I find it a bit confusing that Lyman is the only manual which calls for Mag primers for the .300 WM. Hornady, Lee, etc. specify LR primers....I just loaded ten with WLR primers and will chrono both and see how they compare re velocity, SD and accuracy. I plan to hunt elk in CO in November so weather could vary from cold to warm on any given day.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

I would use lg mag primers but I cant find any all I have is Lg Rifle.

I located some Federal 215 (Large Rifle Magnum) at Shydas Outdoors in Pa.
The primers were only $32.99 for a thousand, but HazMat fee and shipping to La was quoted as $46.00. I will hold off for now- Can't afford to spend $79.00 for 1000 primers.

**** Don Titus. Just realized this Post was started in 2009. Probably no one else is still paying any attention.

The only times I ever got a delayed fire from any primers was when I was using double based powder Reloader-22.I had bought some Sellier&Bellot large rifle magnum primers and was trying them out in a 300 Win Mag.I was getting about a half a second delay before the rifle fired.It did the same thing with some CCI 200 large rifle primers.One of the one's using the CCI-200's failed to fire.I pulled the bullet when I got home to see if the primer had ignited at all and found the powder was blackened but none had ignited.I don't know,maybe the double based powder needs a hotter primer.Never had any issues with this rifle or lot of powder using Winchester large rifle magnum primers.The S&B and CCI worked fine with single based AA-4350 and Ramshot Big Game.

The only times I ever got a delayed fire from any primers was when I was using double based powder Reloader-22.I had bought some Sellier&Bellot large rifle magnum primers and was trying them out in a 300 Win Mag.I was getting about a half a second delay before the rifle fired.It did the same thing with some CCI 200 large rifle primers.One of the one's using the CCI-200's failed to fire.I pulled the bullet when I got home to see if the primer had ignited at all and found the powder was blackened but none had ignited.I don't know,maybe the double based powder needs a hotter primer.Never had any issues with this rifle or lot of powder using Winchester large rifle magnum primers.The S&B and CCI worked fine with single based AA-4350 and Ramshot Big Game.

I have heard other reports of the problems with the R22 powder being difficult to ignite and it giving erratic performance in temperature extremes.
What were the temps when you experienced the hang fires and failure to fire?
Have you used any other powder with the same primers and found the primers worked properly?

WOW !! I could expect it if it was very cold weather, but not in warm temps like you had. I sure would be reluctant to use that powder. Unfortunately, that is what I have worked up my best load with in my .340 Wby. 88.0 of R22 with a 225 grain Swift A-Frame. I do use the Federal 215 primers, and haven't had any problem yet, but it seems a lot of people do have problems with the R22.

Only hang fires I encountered were with Reloader 19 in a 6.5 Remington Magnum with standard CCI primers. No problems with this primer and IMR4350. Shooting in 80 degree temperature.

Winchester for years only made one primer. Their box said For Standard Or Magnum loads for years. This may be where your reloading friend says you can use standard primers in magnum loads. About 5 years ago they split their primer line and now make Primers for Standard Loads and Magnum Loads. Over the years I loaded for 264 Win Mag.,7 MM Rem Mag. and 338 WM and . Using Win. primers with great results, When they split their Primer line just to be safe I Use Winchester Magnum primers in my 338 WM and my 300 WSM, an near max loads of IMR or H 4831 in my 270 Win. I use the Standard Primers for my 243 Win. The old Win. primers was packed with a white sleeve that said for Standard or Mag Loads. All the Winchester primers since the change I have gotten are packed with Blue boxes orange to gold writing and say Standard or Magnum on them.

Tried some of my BR-2 primers in my 300 rum. 91.5 gr Retumbo, 175 gr match kings, 75 degrees. I had two click bangs. Back to magnum primers for me. thanks rch

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.