Laminated stock strength

Robinhood493

Guys is a laminated stock such as Boyds or Stockys as good as a B&C or McMillan? The plastic tupperware Remington stocks are junk and would not hold up to bedding. Would the laminated be able to hold the same groups and consistancy as a good B&C or McMillan?

yes, if you do some checking you can find laminated manufactured that offer adjustable cheek pieces, and but plates also. Richards Microfit makes them in a surprising variety of styles and colors

yes, if you do some checking you can find laminated manufactured that offer adjustable cheek pieces, and but plates also. Richards Microfit makes them in a surprising variety of styles and colors
yes, it will make a great stock, richards makes great stocks but will involve tons more work than a boyds or stockys.

I know a guy that makes custom stocks (Brush Creek Rifles)...he is pretty darn good at it.

http://www.first285.com/gunstock/ ...he has another page somewhere, but I can't seem to remember how to get there.

This is what he says about it...

Laminate stocks are as stable as fiberglass...IF...it has no more than 3-5 layers of wood. Stocks such as most of Boyds with 13 (?) layers...those are OK, and look nice...but are not as strong as a 3 layer stock.

What he says makes sense when you look at how the action is secured to the stock...2-3 holes right down the middle.

EDIT: In case any of you decide to call him...I don't think the phone number on that webpage is any good now...I have his cell # but I'm not gonna put it here without his permission.

I know a guy that makes custom stocks (Brush Creek Rifles)...he is pretty darn good at it.

Brush Creek Rifles - High Quality Walnut, Cherry and Maple stocks. ...he has another page somewhere, but I can't seem to remember how to get there.

This is what he says about it...

Laminate stocks are as stable as fiberglass...IF...it has no more than 3-5 layers of wood. Stocks such as most of Boyds with 13 (?) layers...those are OK, and look nice...but are not as strong as a 3 layer stock.

What he says makes sense when you look at how the action is secured to the stock...2-3 holes right down the middle.

EDIT: In case any of you decide to call him...I don't think the phone number on that webpage is any good now...I have his cell # but I'm not gonna put it here without his permission.

Just curious... why is 5 layers better than 13? Also seems a little odd his contact info isn't published.

Just remember a good laminated stock can get a bit heavy. Make sure you are getting what you need and want. My next rifle might very well have a laminated stock.

Just curious... why is 5 layers better than 13? Also seems a little odd his contact info isn't published.
it's not, what makes one Laminate better than another is 100% in the manufacturing process, glues, pressure curing times ect. Same reason you can go to a lumber yard and pay$10 for one sheet of plywood and $50 for another, better quality components and better quality control, just like anything else.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts