Ladder Test vs QuickLoad - What do you prefer and why

L. Sherm showed you a pic of Jason Baney's ladder test as posted on accurate shooter. I have been doing this method since before I found Jason's article. Alex Wheeler has several posts on here as well as accurate shooter. I also put together a youtube video outlining the method. It is the single best way to an accurate long range load period. Shooting 10 rounds over a chrono into dirt is a complete waste of time, money, and barrel life. The OCW is a great method if you don't have long distances to shoot but is harder to read and requires more rounds.

rfurman24, thank you for your input. I guess there are now three variations of the Laddert Test, maybe even more. I agree with you on the OCW. I will search for your youtube video.
I think the big misconception is one runs one model on QL and is expected to be done. It is just the beginning.
I am looking for the method that will burn the least amount of powder and bullets for a good load to 500 yards. I do not think I can shoot further than that. My rifles are capable, but I am not.
Again thank you and I will look for your video. Its the 53 minute one?

rfurman24, thank you for your input. I guess there are now three variations of the Laddert Test, maybe even more. I agree with you on the OCW. I will search for your youtube video.
I think the big misconception is one runs one model on QL and is expected to be done. It is just the beginning.
I am looking for the method that will burn the least amount of powder and bullets for a good load to 500 yards. I do not think I can shoot further than that. My rifles are capable, but I am not.
Again thank you and I will look for your video. Its the 53 minute one?
My way works and I feel I explain it very well but I strongly suggest reading Jason's and Alex's information as well.

My way works and I feel I explain it very well but I strongly suggest reading Jason's and Alex's information as well.

Ryan,
Thank you for your suggestions. I read Alex's and Jason's articles last night. I watched your video as well. Very informative. I see there are at least four variations since Creighton Audette's initial concept and they all work.
To be clear, I never question whether it worked, I was asking for input from people who have experience with both.
Also, I personally, I can NOT shoot 1000 yards. I am pushing it to 500. but the concepts are the same and valid.
Thank you for taking the time and provide your input. I appreciate it
Good Shooting

I find it interesting how some assume ladder testing is about velocity. It's about finding the sweet spot for your rifle, be it powder charge or seating depth. And it's so easy a caveman could do it......A chronograph isn't a requirement, but it is nice to have the numbers for additional information. These pics are from yesterday helping a friend with his saum. No velocity numbers and everyone should be able to figure it out.

59.4gr shots 1-8-9
1595771652698.png

59.6 shots 2-7-10
1595771790027.png

59.8 shots 3-6-11
1595771841403.png

60gr only three shots at this powder charge 4-5-12
1595771914466.png

rfurman24, just one more question if you don't mind. How do you pick the range of the powder charge to test, once you picked the powder you are using?

Thanks and Good Shooting!

The difference is , Quick load although accurate, is an estimate. A ladder test is actual data that is real world for your rifle. I like both but end up doing a ladder to be sure. :cool:

J E CUSTOM
as usual J E Custom wrote it right !!!
I have QuickLOAD. I originally got it to duplicate a factory load. I knew everything about the load but the powder used and pressure. Running that known info through QuickLOAD I was able to come up with 2 powders to try. For me that eliminated cost: trips to the range, purchase of unneeded gunpowder, waste.
What QuickLOAD doesn't seem to do is include the primer into its equations. It does have a place to record brand , identification of the primer and lot #. The brisance of a primer is very important to safe loads. The more brisance, the more pressure.

rfurman24, just one more question if you don't mind. How do you pick the range of the powder charge to test, once you picked the powder you are using?

Thanks and Good Shooting!

If it is SAAMI I will start with published data and work up. I will usually load past max and expect to have to pull bullets. If It is a custom throat I essentially do the same but I will load another grain or two higher with the same expectation of pulling some bullets. If there is no data for the combo such as many of the newer powders like N570 or Rl26 I will pick data for a powder that is a little faster burning and use its data and the same process.

I have been scouring through the reloading posts, both here and other boards and it seems that more and more people swear by the Ladder Test method. I am probably stirring up a hornets nest, but If I have QuickLoad, calibrated to my case capacity and powder burning rate, isn't it better than the Ladder Test?
With ladder test you are looking for a "node" with load increments and chrono. Once you find the general load for the node, you try to fine tune it.
With QL, you start very close to the node by modelling, you get closer after you have actual data with chrono and "trigger" time and get back to the range for fine tuning.
Both methods, used correctly, require trigger time, chrono and iterations. I think both methods work.
I would like to hear your comments/experiences, but I would be mostly interested to hearing from people who have used both as they are meant to be used

Thanks in advance
Good shooting!!!
There is a simple answer if you've ever done lab science. Think of it like you reading about how to make a compound from others using a formula. A computer can do pretty accurate
I have been scouring through the reloading posts, both here and other boards and it seems that more and more people swear by the Ladder Test method. I am probably stirring up a hornets nest, but If I have QuickLoad, calibrated to my case capacity and powder burning rate, isn't it better than the Ladder Test?
With ladder test you are looking for a "node" with load increments and chrono. Once you find the general load for the node, you try to fine tune it.
With QL, you start very close to the node by modelling, you get closer after you have actual data with chrono and "trigger" time and get back to the range for fine tuning.
Both methods, used correctly, require trigger time, chrono and iterations. I think both methods work.
I would like to hear your comments/experiences, but I would be mostly interested to hearing from people who have used both as they are meant to be used

Thanks in advance
Good shooting!!!
Everything aside, actually shooting the rifle is going to get you the closest to that rifles truth than any simulation will ever be able to achieve. I always think of quickload as putting me in the quote in quote ball park. Hitting home plate requires range time.

I agree that the ladder method as described by Alex, Ryan, et al. is the easiest and fastest way to develop a long range load. It is a welcome advancement for the long range hunter/shooter. But...While more time and rounds might have been spent, it has been well proven that these contemporary methods are not the only means of developing an effective long range load. If it were, many of us old farts would have bare shelves and empty walls. 😊

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.