Lack of elevation travel in Burris Veracity

This is going to sound stupid, and not meant to be offensive. Is the front of your scope hitting your rifle or rings? I recently mounted a night vision scope and had the same problem. After looking further the front scope ring was in contact with the front of the scope. This kept the scope from sitting level in the rings, it was angled up. This was only about 1/16" off but when I moved the front ring backwards on my rail it fixed the problem.

I was able to get enough downward movement after moving the zero stop. Got my rifle shot in and then did a short ladder. Clockwise from top right is: 79.3gr RL25, 78.3gr RL25, 81.3gr RL25, and 82.3gr RL25. I'm thinking either 79.3gr or more likely 82.3gr. This was all with 200gr ELD-X bullets at 100yds in a Weatherby Vanguard Deluxe 300 Wby Mag. I'd like to think the lack of tight groups is a combination of me and the little dimple crown my RCBS puts on these loads, but it may just be me. I'm going to send off for a custom seater plug before I load up the rest of my package of bullets.
20190706_151155.jpg

This is going to sound stupid, and not meant to be offensive. Is the front of your scope hitting your rifle or rings? I recently mounted a night vision scope and had the same problem. After looking further the front scope ring was in contact with the front of the scope. This kept the scope from sitting level in the rings, it was angled up. This was only about 1/16" off but when I moved the front ring backwards on my rail it fixed the problem.

I don't think it's stupid and definitely worth a check. Although, I do try to move the scope as far away from my forehead as possible to avoid the dreaded scope bite.

Not every gun likes the ELDs... mine loved the AMax and will not shoot the ELD. Hornady changed the boat tail angle on the bullet.
I have heard that and was/am prepared for that to possibly be. I really like Nosler partitions, but a recent experience has me interested in the ELD-X (this could be in a different thread).

I was going on a hunt in Texas with my dad and brother. Initially, we were going to hunt Nilgai South of Corpus Christi, so I got some 250gr Nosler partitions for my .340 Wby Mag. That hunt fell through as I was landing in San Antonio, so my dad hooked the three of us up on a Scimitar Oryx management hunt near Junction. My brother shot an oryx at about 200yds with his 6.5 CM using 143gr ELD-X loads. He didn't have enough power for an immediate kill despite good shot placement and required a follow up shot to dispatch. While gutting the oryx, the ELD-X expanded nicely and did quite a bit of internal damage before lodging on the inside of the opposite shoulder.

Post oryx, we're trying to find the herd again so I can get one when an elk herd pops out of the trees about 150yds out. Elk cows are cheaper and bigger than oryx, so I shoot one of the cows with the .340. Exit hole is slightly larger than the entry hole despite taking out ribs on both sides. I take another elk cow later that day at 100yds, same story. No expansion on either partitions.

I'm thinking that the Weatherby mags are just moving too fast at that short of a distance to expand. Rumor is the ELD-X will expand at high speed, so I'm willing to give it a try. As long as accuracy doesn't degrade too much.

I have heard that and was/am prepared for that to possibly be. I really like Nosler partitions, but a recent experience has me interested in the ELD-X (this could be in a different thread).

I was going on a hunt in Texas with my dad and brother. Initially, we were going to hunt Nilgai South of Corpus Christi, so I got some 250gr Nosler partitions for my .340 Wby Mag. That hunt fell through as I was landing in San Antonio, so my dad hooked the three of us up on a Scimitar Oryx management hunt near Junction. My brother shot an oryx at about 200yds with his 6.5 CM using 143gr ELD-X loads. He didn't have enough power for an immediate kill despite good shot placement and required a follow up shot to dispatch. While gutting the oryx, the ELD-X expanded nicely and did quite a bit of internal damage before lodging on the inside of the opposite shoulder.

Post oryx, we're trying to find the herd again so I can get one when an elk herd pops out of the trees about 150yds out. Elk cows are cheaper and bigger than oryx, so I shoot one of the cows with the .340. Exit hole is slightly larger than the entry hole despite taking out ribs on both sides. I take another elk cow later that day at 100yds, same story. No expansion on either partitions.

I'm thinking that the Weatherby mags are just moving too fast at that short of a distance to expand. Rumor is the ELD-X will expand at high speed, so I'm willing to give it a try. As long as accuracy doesn't degrade too much.
I think you'll be happy with the eld-x or 285 eld match....just this minute finished loading up 50 for my 338 lapua Weatherby Tac Mark. I shoot eld-x in my 300 Weatherby and your accuracy should be equal to better! Best of luck hunting!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.