JimD

Hey all,

OK, as my little adventure continues
- old man
- old shooter
- new rifle builder.

I'm re-barreling a rifle here.
Looking at barrel maker websites.
All the technical drawings, various profiles and contours, weights.

One of the dimensions is for the breech.
In the caliber I'm looking for, it will be either 1.250 or 1.200.

How do I know which I want/need?

The receiver is a Remington short action (.243).

Do they all "want" the same barrel breech dimension?
Or do they vary, have they varied over the years?
'mI sposed to measure something?

Is it based on something more esoteric?

Thanks for any insight into this.

James

It depends on your intended use of the rifle. The larger shank barrels have a slightly larger contact area with the action which can lead to increased accuracy. If weight is an issue go with the smaller shank, smaller contour.

Jay

Either shank diameter will work on your action. A barrel with a shank diameter of 1.2'' typically is a sporter weight barrel, a 1.25'' diameter shank barrel is often called varmint profile or heavier. If you intend to use the same stock and don't want to open it up or fill it in, you should measure the existing barrel shank and use that as your guide.

The person doing the rebarreling can remove some of the shank length or turn down the diameter to match the stock's barrel channel.

If you want to duplicate the existing barrel profile the manufacturers have charts for comparisons. Look at the barrel length and muzzle diameters too. Here are two examples:

Lilja:
Lilja Barrel Contour Data - Lilja

Bartlein:
Bartlein Barrels, Inc. - Contours

Thanks r-Dawg and Shooter.

Between your comments and another coupla sources I've tapped, I've about got it figured out.

The 1.250 would be my choice for a couple of reasons... ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL.

But with ALL the different manufacturers, and profiles and contours, and weights, etc.
plus I'm also hunting for availability...

...there's a lot of tumblers to fall into place!

If I can get everything else to fall into place, I reckon I'll jump!... and go with whatever breech dimension it has.

It'll probably work out, things have a way of usually.

Much obliged,

Jim

Thanks r-Dawg and Shooter.

Between your comments and another coupla sources I've tapped, I've about got it figured out.

The 1.250 would be my choice for a couple of reasons... ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL.

But with ALL the different manufacturers, and profiles and contours, and weights, etc.
plus I'm also hunting for availability...

...there's a lot of tumblers to fall into place!

If I can get everything else to fall into place, I reckon I'll jump!... and go with whatever breech dimension it has.

It'll probably work out, things have a way of usually.

Much obliged,

Jim

Jim,

Unless you're doing the work yourself, work closely with a reputable and competent gunsmith that will be doing the gunsmithing for you when ordering your barrel/parts for your build.

Cheers!

Ed

I always order 1.250" shank. I can make a big one smaller, but I can't make a small one bigger! Anyone who is competent to thread and chamber a barrel should be able to the adjust shank diameter.

Hey all,

OK, as my little adventure continues
- old man
- old shooter
- new rifle builder.

I'm re-barreling a rifle here.
Looking at barrel maker websites.
All the technical drawings, various profiles and contours, weights.

One of the dimensions is for the breech.
In the caliber I'm looking for, it will be either 1.250 or 1.200.

How do I know which I want/need?

The receiver is a Remington short action (.243).

Do they all "want" the same barrel breech dimension?
Or do they vary, have they varied over the years?
'mI sposed to measure something?

Is it based on something more esoteric?

Thanks for any insight into this.

James

Right behind the post that FEENIX made...dont YOU order the barrel. Get the smith that you intend on doing the re-barrel work to order the brand and profile you wish to fit your reciever. HE will know how and what to do. And unless you have some do or die attitude about barrel companys...let HIM decide what brand of barrell to buy.

Personally I prefer cut rifled barrels but Ive tried others.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.