Re-Barrelling question

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by BigConrad, Jan 3, 2012.

1. BigConrad

BigConrad Member

Have any of you guys ever had a Browning A-Bolt 2 re-barreled and what do you think of the Browning actions, are they worth the investment to re-barrel?

I'm thinking of re-barreling in a 6.5X284 NORMA. What you guys think?

2. LouBoyd

LouBoyd Well-Known Member

What cartridge is your A-bolt barreled for now? What is it's magazine length? What 6.5 mm bullets do you want to shoot?

3. BigConrad

BigConrad Member

It's a long action in a 30/06, I beleive I can use the same bolt face, not sure. I will probably shoot 140 grain Burger bullets.

4. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

It's a great rifle. But, as you start customizing, you'll find your choices for smiths, stocks, triggers, bottom metal, magazines, and other parts are much more limitted than Savage, Remington, or even Win 70.

You might consider selling/trading for something that's a more popular build.

Just throwing that out there... It's a nice rifle and it'll get the job done.

-- richard

5. sledder1

sledder1 Member

I just had my browning A-bolt rebarreled. It was a 7 rem mag and it stayed the same. I used a brux #3 contour which is a little heavier that the factory one but it turned out nice. My gunsmith also made a custom recoil lug since the factory one was not true or centered correctly. If it's a stainless model your smith may have a issue with the threads gauling upon removal of the barrel, but he can just rethread to a standard size instead of the metric threads that the brownings have. I love my browning and eventhough they seem to be a little harder to work on I'll never part with it. Also you can get different mags for the brownings if you want to get more room for longer bullets. I'm using a .375 h&h mag magazine for my 7 rem mag with 168 bergers

6. BigConrad

BigConrad Member

Thanks, I have Remington and Weatherby rifles that would be easier to rebuild. Me and this Browing has a lot of histery and if I just can't part ways with it.

7. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

In that case, you should be very pleased with a good smith; trigger spring kit from Brownells; and a name brand aftermarket barrel.

Have you found a smith and given much thought to the cartridge, bullet, twist?

-- richard

8. BigConrad

BigConrad Member

I actually found a gun smith about 2hrs from home that would do the job, he has a very good reputation. I also contacted Shilen barrells and Heart. They both said they could do the job which I was suprised they would fool with it.