re barreling sako

leadchucker

hello everyone, first off i love this site! lots of good info here. i was in the market for a new sendaro 300rum, then not long ago i had a beautiful older sako 270 win given to me by a friend for doing some mechanical work for him(lucky me!). unfortunatly the barrel is about done and was wondering if it was possible to re barrel this gun to a 300rum. have never had any custom work done to a rifle before other than trigger adjustments, so not sure what would be involved in this process. any help would be apprieciated and would it be worth it? thank you in advance for the help everyone.

While it's certainly possible it will be expensive. The bolt face need to be changed from standard .473 to magnum .532. The magazine will have to be changed to feed the larger dia RUM case. If your wanting to get the action blue printed it will be 2-400 depending on how much detail you want. The trigger can be adjusted but you don't have the after market options you have with a custom or remington/winchester. I do like the sako's and they make a nice rifle just a few different challenges than the rem/win. If it has the removable recoil lug you will want to address that issue when the new barrel is fitted.

lazylabs, thanks for the reply. Was kind of thinking the same way, i don't think i want to put that kind of money into this rifle. will just get it re barreled and use it. And maybe purchase the remy.

Its very hard to open up the sako bolt face. I rebarreled mine to 280ai and its working out great. Just a thought.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.