kids back country gear???

chad44

My 12 yr old daughter is just taking an interest in hunting and drew her first tags this year. She wants to go scouting with me and has no gear yet. I can't seem to find any youth packs or sleeping bags on ebay or craigslist. anyone have any cheaper options that aren't junk? She's small framed and only weighs like 65 lbs. Don't want to go nuts with real expensive gear cuz she grows so fast. any suggestions????? oh and it is anywhere from 1-5 miles in wilderness area.

my daghter uses an eberlestock X1, has been since she was 10. it is expensive but i can use it as well and it will last her a lifetime. for a sleeping bag buy a womens one the youth arent worth it in my opinion after having one, they outgrow it very quick and the features are too limited.

my daughters carry water, survival items, ipod, and a ton of snacks along with rain/ cold gear in theirs for day hikes and they tell me to quit asking them if it is too heavy. my 12 yr old also carries the little tikka to get used to the weight and says it is fine.

great to see your kids taking an interest, should make for a lifetime of fun.

The best thing you can do is make sure she is dry and warm, Sorry to tell you the best light weight sleeping bags are expensive but get a full sized one and she or you can use it for years Mountain climbing bags are the lightest and warmest. Most back packs are adjustable get a ground pad also light weight. Remember if she doesn't use the gear all the time you can still use it for yourself later.

Chad, just saw REI has some bags and pads on their outlet page that are a really great deal and they have an extra 20% off right now. You may find some steals on other gear for your daughter on their right now as well. Most of the stuff is close to 50% off.

I started my boy hiking at 6 and in early years did things as simple as duct tape pants to boots, and garbage bag him with slot on wet days. He is a 16 year old young mountain man now, on really hard stuff w/lots elevation we share a gun, but he shares :D the meat packing now

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.