Best rifle scabbard and saddle bags for back country horseback hunting

I carry in my old leather open end scabboard.Get back to truck in dark,no rifle? MY 340wby I ride back and a gate bout mile away,the end hooked my rifle and its hanging there.We rode alot with pistol then just hang on tree limb with chapps,heavy coat ,etc.

Get you some saddle panniers they can be great if you get into a situation you can pack your horse and just lead it.

Yeah agree. No one wants to see a horse running through the bush armed. Keep the rifle off the horse on yourself so if you get bucked off, you have the rifle readily available to shoot that **** horse!!! Must one tag a horse??? :) :) :)
Years ago I was riding a buddy's horse. It was a .... messed with me all day . I was behind him. His horse reared at something. Mine reared all the way up and off I went. My rifle was in the scabbard. I told him when I get it back I'm going to shoot that horse . He just thought it was funny. I'm glad at the time I didn't have it across my shoulders. I may have.

Just saw your post…

Mountain Ridge Gear and Mesa Horse Gear both make really nice bags and bag systems. I like them both 'better' than the trail max offerings. All of the hardware used is of higher quality and the workmanship and materials are of higher quality.

I do like the Trailmax scabbards and have both their standard and long range scabbards. The long range scabbard is quite large and I'm certain you'll be WAY more comfortable with the standard scabbard if your rifles will fit. I'm not using either this fall and I'd be happy to send them both to you to use and see what you think.

I'll take my chances with a scabbard than on my back anyday.anyway. But get it out as soon as you get off your horse so they don't rub it on a tree.
I agree. Years ago in Colorado elk hunting I was riding back to the ranch house with a Wrangler . He took off full speed with his horse. My horse took off full speed following . I couldn't stop him. My rifle was slung crossways over shoulder with a pack on. The rifle barrel beat on my head the whole way back. I was pizzed off when we stopped . I checked to see if barrel was bent.

The dilemma that faces anyone riding with a rifle is scabbard and horse runs off or falls on it. The other is I get bucked off and fall on it backwards, breaking my back or worse. I chose scabbard, I can use backup rifle usually on hunt to shoot horse. I have ridden a lot in mountains where horses or riders freak out over stupid crap. Everything from a scent from nasty critter or a red squirrel was going to attack them. I prefer to be able to bail without concern worrying over where my rifle is in relation to how I am going to land. I was side stepping across a snow covered meadow on a very stable docile horse but he stepped on a large flat rock on an angle covered with ice under snow. He went down like hit with 50BMG. Luckily I was able to push off same time and landed on back. My right foot was under his back but my size 16 Irish Setter Elk Ridge boot did not crush. If I had rifle on sling on back, bet serious consequences.

My Trailmax has been on enough hunts to say they work well. Heck it still looks new! Over the years, I have never been bucked off, had horses slip and fall but can tell you I chased down quite a few packhorses and others while going up or down.

Rifles can be replaced, you still can hunt in all likelihood if oh crap smashes rifle in scabbard. Oh yeah, I also put rifle in a sleeve to protect it further in scabbard. Just my experience worth maybe 2¢.
5B21E1A7-2273-4D08-8401-B460D3C69D68.jpeg

A local saddle shop made this scabbard for me . It has worked good so far and haven't had any wear on my rifle.

Attachments

• 20211002_215540.jpg
    20211002_215540.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
I have an older Uncle Mikes scabbard that I don't think is made any more. It works quite well. The Trail Max mentioned looks similar, stiff/rigid and a quick fold away rear cover. This is the scabbard (not mine but the same one) the auction this was posted on is over but you might still find one around or that Trail Max may be as good or better. The rear cover on this one opens and drops away very quickly but covers the rifle fully and retains/protects it well.
18221683041017Li23.jpg

My saddle bags setup is a Summit brand (I think, need to go check that). They are outstanding - have a panel that attaches behind the horse then the bags go on that and are protected from sweat, etc.

IMO/IME, the most important tack for hunting on a horse is a good horse. I have had exceptional horses and at least one that should have been shot on the spot. That mare broke a rifle on purpose just to be a "jerk" (insert appropriate explicative here).

Last edited:
I have been hunting on horseback for thirty years and I had a custom scabbard made for my 7mm mag. I have horses I have worked with them for years and they don't buck, shake a bit but don't buck. I carry a behind the saddle; saddle bags made of fabric and tied to the saddle. I carry my rifle in the scabbard until I get into an area I feel has game, then I carry on back or across my saddle horn. I can step out of the saddle gun in hand and hunt and shot and the horse stays where the rains are dropped

I was riding back to the ranch house
My appy was herd bound when I bought him but didn't know. He tried that crap once - a full sprint back to the barn through unknown woods and fields . Figured I'd been too gentle and needed to show him who was alpha.
Cured that rubbish right quick.
Had a friend who hunted with his paso fino, a truly remarkable horse and rider pair, but never once found myself wishing to own another horse.

As far as saddle bags, I have a custom set leather tooled ones with holders on the outside for flashlights and leatherman so they are always accessible. My rifle is hanging to low in this picture. I forgot I was using this leather scabbard. I like it a lot as well. I think it's a little short for long range rifles. I like to leave my suppressor on while hunting so that's why I went to the trail max. But I haven't rifle hunted since 14 so I'm trying to refresh my memory. Lol

Attachments

• DA3A0E9D-2118-41F2-ABB3-2A9713263F8C.jpeg
    DA3A0E9D-2118-41F2-ABB3-2A9713263F8C.jpeg
    827.4 KB · Views: 98