Kids and Grendels

Turpentine21

1698892924190.jpeg
1698892924190.jpeg
I built a Grendel AR for my brother this past summer. Last week he lent it to his friends family. This is just one of the 4 bucks they have killed in the last week with it. The boy in the light blue shirt shot this one. I can't remember if he is 6 or 7. Their mom also got into the act last week with her largest buck to date. A heavy 10 point. Also shot with the Grendel.
I built my niece, brothers daughter a Grendel AR when she was 7. She's 12 now and has killed around 25 with it to date. She pulled this 210 yard shot this afternoon (usually shoots shoulder) and caught this buck low and well behind the shoulder. Didn't matter. He didn't make it 20 yards. As you can see it pulverized the offside. All were shot with factory 123sst's from 20" barrels.
I love a Grendel AR for women and kids, it works pretty well for me too. I've built quite a few for friends. I use both of mine with my thermal. With the highly adjustable stock and pistol grip they can be made to fit almost anybody in seconds. Plus there is very little recoil so they won't kick a kid out from under his hat. Both of these have Rock River Varmint 2 stage triggers that break at about 3 pounds. I generally use Geissele 2 stage National match Teiggers in mine with the match springs. We also like the 2 stage Larue trigger. Can't beat it for the $.

Attachments

• 72057433517__C27FA801-3A62-4B36-82E5-CA2708779FC2.jpeg
    72057433517__C27FA801-3A62-4B36-82E5-CA2708779FC2.jpeg
    647.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2018.jpeg
    IMG_2018.jpeg
    326.8 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
You and I both. Great cartridge. I'm pushing hammer hunter 85 grain pretty fast.
I personally use 123 eldm's at around 2500. They do a great job in this caliber. As much shooting as I do, the Hammers are a bit expensive. Best cartridge and platform I have seen for women and kids in a long time. Mild mannered, low muzzle blast, and controllable yet punches above its weight class.

I love me some Grendel action. Probably going to get a suppressor attachment for mine so my kiddo can try it out after her 222 bolt gun.

Awesome to see. i have been debating building one for my son whos 6. just havent yet.
You won't regret it. I like 20" barrels for velocity and they are more quiet but 18 and 16 work good. If you go with a 20" barrel go with a 9 twist. Bill Alexander did his homework on this one and I read that years ago from his tests on the cartridge. 8 twist in a 20" barrel can be finicky. Mine sure was. Mine and the one I built for my brother have fluted 20" 1 in 9" AA barrels and bolts. They shoot way better than an AR should. His 18" mid length makes for a nice light rifle that will shoot. I built one of those for a client with Aero accessories last year.

Same here. I was hand loading sst's but really couldnt beat factory velocity. The AR's make great kid guns for the reasons mentioned. They are a little heavy but that's not a bad thing.

Same here. I was hand loading sst's but really couldnt beat factory velocity. The AR's make great kid guns for the reasons mentioned. They are a little heavy but that's not a bad thing.
Yep just make sure that you have a good rest for the stock, rear and front elbow and fore end in the stand. A short magazine helps in the stand also. Easier to get a good rest. I usually use 10s.
I personally handload everything for mine. But the factory ammo will shoot plenty good enough. Either the Black with eldm's or the Precision Hunter with SSTs work perfectly fine.

I personally use 123 eldm's at around 2500. They do a great job in this caliber. As much shooting as I do, the Hammers are a bit expensive. Best cartridge and platform I have seen for women and kids in a long time. Mild mannered, low muzzle blast, and controllable yet punches above its weight class.
Yeah, I hunt with a CZ using the hammer bullets. But I've got a Howa I run the 120 ELDMs in to play with. Buy the factory seconds from midway to shoot during the summer.

What barrels are you using in the AR's?
I used a 20" Wilson Arms 1 in 8" in my first one. That was a mistake. It will shoot ok but it has been incredibly finicky. Finally put a tuner brake on it to make it a little more accurate.
For the last two I used Alexander Arms 20" 1 in 9" heavy fluted barrels with either Aero or Anderson uppers and Alexander Arms bolts. Both are being shot without muzzle brakes. Slim hand guards. Extremely accurate. I built another for a customer with a AA 18" fluted mid gas in 1 in7.5 or 8. Can't remember. All other parts were Aero. Very light package. I use Magpul ACS-L stocks exclusively. Aero enhanced buffer tubes.
If you plan to use a 20" barrel, go with a 9 twist. That will seriously narrow down your choices but will pay off. This advice comes from Bill Alexander's early tests with barrels and twist rates. Alexander Arms and Lilja make the 9 twist barrels. 18 or below use 1 in 8" or below. I have found that th AA barrels and bolts generally don't require an adjustable gas block to shoot and eject well. Bill did his homework on port size. You can use different buffer weights to tune if necessary. If I were going to use a suppressor however I would use an adjustable block.
I personally only use Geisslee 2 stage match triggers unless the person I'm building for wants something different. Trigger tech now makes an interesting option and Larue is certainly hard to beat for the money. I've used Aero, Anderson, Palmetto, and Del-ton lowers. No issues with any of them. I like Aero or AR stoner slim handguards. Nothing fancy but they work.
I also tune every Grendel Mag I get as soon as it comes out of the package. Makes them a lot more reliable.
My last personal build is one of the 20" AA 1 in 9 barrels.
With 27.7 grains of AR comp, federal 205ar primer and a 123eldm it will shoot .3 or less 5 shot groups at 100. I've seen very few Grendel's that wouldn't shoot this load extremely well for some reason. Usually anywhere from 27.5 - 27.9 shoots very well with 27.7 being the best. Runs about 2500fps. Leverevolution can add 100fps but I can't get the accuracy out of it In my guns.

I used a 20" Wilson Arms 1 in 8" in my first one. That was a mistake. It will shoot ok but it has been incredibly finicky. Finally put a tuner brake on it to make it a little more accurate.
For the last two I used Alexander Arms 20" 1 in 9" heavy fluted barrels with either Aero or Anderson uppers and Alexander Arms bolts. Both are being shot without muzzle brakes. Slim hand guards. Extremely accurate. I built another for a customer with a AA 18" fluted mid gas in 1 in7.5 or 8. Can't remember. All other parts were Aero. Very light package. I use Magpul ACS-L stocks exclusively. Aero enhanced buffer tubes.
If you plan to use a 20" barrel, go with a 9 twist. That will seriously narrow down your choices but will pay off. This advice comes from Bill Alexander's early tests with barrels and twist rates. Alexander Arms and Lilja make the 9 twist barrels. 18 or below use 1 in 8" or below. I have found that th AA barrels and bolts generally don't require an adjustable gas block to shoot and eject well. Bill did his homework on port size. You can use different buffer weights to tune if necessary. If I were going to use a suppressor however I would use an adjustable block.
I personally only use Geisslee 2 stage match triggers unless the person I'm building for wants something different. Trigger tech now makes an interesting option and Larue is certainly hard to beat for the money. I've used Aero, Anderson, Palmetto, and Del-ton lowers. No issues with any of them. I like Aero or AR stoner slim handguards. Nothing fancy but they work.
I also tune every Grendel Mag I get as soon as it comes out of the package. Makes them a lot more reliable.
My last personal build is one of the 20" AA 1 in 9 barrels.
With 27.7 grains of AR comp, federal 205ar primer and a 123eldm it will shoot .3 or less 5 shot groups at 100. I've seen very few Grendel's that wouldn't shoot this load extremely well for some reason. Usually anywhere from 27.5 - 27.9 shoots very well with 27.7 being the best. Runs about 2500fps. Leverevolution can add 100fps but I can't get the accuracy out of it In my guns.
Thanks for all the information. I have been wanting to build something for my 10yo. I'm looking around for parts now!

If you can't use a .223 in your state due to regulations, the Grendel is a great option. The .223 with heavy bullets (77 grain TMK) is a killer, but the Grendel is close second in my book. I have killed a couple dandy Axis deer with my first one (Encore MGM barrel) and I like it so much I bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Grendel, just cuz. Chopped the barrel to 18" and modified the magazines so that they hold 5 but only stick below the stock by 3/4". With a suppressor on it, it is great kids gun and I loan it out all the time when I go to hunts that I know kids will be at. Most of the time they show up and are being asked to use 308s, 7-08s, or similar with muzzle brakes or some such. I put that Grendel with a suppressor in their hands and they are all smiles and go on to kill stuff.

Great little round that punches well above it's weight class.