Kenton Industries Custom Turrets

one of the problems with doing a custom turret is turrets don't always move the erector the amount they should. good scopes yes, they probably do. if i were gonna go the custom turret route, i would shoot at the distances using a target that was tall enough to measure the bullet drop without turning the turrets. this will give you the exact moa drop at said distance. then shoot 2 groups using at least 3 rotations of the verticle turret and measure exactly how much the scope moves. now you have accurate information to go on.

I like to tinker with different bullet/load combos so a set turret does not work for me. I still use Kenton turrets but I use the three tier MOA knob for elevation and a single for windage. I carry a PDA and a Kestrel for conditions and two drop/data cards as backup.

one of the problems with doing a custom turret is turrets don't always move the erector the amount they should. good scopes yes, they probably do. if i were gonna go the custom turret route, i would shoot at the distances using a target that was tall enough to measure the bullet drop without turning the turrets. this will give you the exact moa drop at said distance. then shoot 2 groups using at least 3 rotations of the verticle turret and measure exactly how much the scope moves. now you have accurate information to go on.

Dave,

So what you are saying is that a .25MOA turret may not move the reticle .25 but maybe .20 or .3 (as an example) So then the number of MOA will be off when Kenton assumes it moves .25 correct?

I was trying to explain this to a guy and just couldn't get him to believe that scopes can be off this way. I have seen some pretty nice scopes not track correctly in this regard.

I have always wondered why turret makers don't just ask for actual turret change per click.

You can even figure this out without firing your gun although I would guess your method may be more accurate. I have always just set up my scope at a specified distance, i.e. 10 yards or 25 yards, and moved my turret the number of clicks necessary to move it one inch. With a white piece of paper with an exact one inch grid you can very precisely determine your click value by extrapolating the numbers out. You just need a solid type rest to hold you gun or scope still while adjusting the turret.

I got mine from Vortex Optics. I gave them the elevation above sea level, temp., my zero of 200 yds, 8.5" drop at 300 yds & 21.5" drop at 400 yds. They made the velocity and other things match up to my data and sent me the custom turret a week later. I put it on my new Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm PST MOA FFP scope.

After sighting it in at 200 yds. I moved to 400 yds and turned the turret to 4 for 400 yds and shot 3 times. It was dead nuts on which amazed me. I then went to Wyoming and shot at a range from 200 yds all the way out to 1,200 yards and the turret was dead nuts on at every distance.

I do not know who made the turret for Vortex, but who ever did know what they are doing.

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=574886

joseoh

I got mine from Vortex Optics. I gave them the elevation above sea level, temp., my zero of 200 yds, 8.5" drop at 300 yds & 21.5" drop at 400 yds. They made the velocity and other things match up to my data and sent me the custom turret a week later. I put it on my new Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50mm PST MOA FFP scope.

After sighting it in at 200 yds. I moved to 400 yds and turned the turret to 4 for 400 yds and shot 3 times. It was dead nuts on which amazed me. I then went to Wyoming and shot at a range from 200 yds all the way out to 1,200 yards and the turret was dead nuts on at every distance.

I do not know who made the turret for Vortex, but who ever did know what they are doing.

Field test: Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm PST MOA FFP scope. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseoh

The return address on my Vortex Turrets said Gunwerks.

Field test: Vortex Viper 6-24x50mm PST MOA FFP scope. - Georgia Outdoor News Forum

joseoh

What is REALLY amazing is that you went to a different state which would most likely be different elevation, temp etc. and it was dead on?You must have had some compensating conditions. With set turrets you still have to make adjustments for each field condition because they are adjusted to a given set of conditions only......Rich

What is REALLY amazing is that you went to a different state which would most likely be different elevation, temp etc. and it was dead on?You must have had some compensating conditions. With set turrets you still have to make adjustments for each field condition because they are adjusted to a given set of conditions only......Rich

That is what everyone tells me, but I originally sighted in at 200 yds. at the elevation here which is about 800 feet. When I sighted in in Wyoming at an elevation of about 4,000 feet I could not tell the difference in my zero at 200 yards. Then when I went to the 2,000 yd range. Out there I was able to hit the gongs by turning the turret to the yardage and hit the gongs all the way out to 1,200 yards.

Now let me make it clear that I just didn't lay down and hit the targets one after the other. The two guys in the picture were calling the wind for me and some times I would hit, but most of the time I did not. The wind was the determining factor not the elevation of the turret. That was perfectly clear to all that was there. They had a 3" gong at 700 yds that I hit 3 out of 5 shots. :D My rifle was shooting so good with the Viper PST that they all retired their rifles and only shot mine so they could hit the gongs too.
and they were shooting monster calibers. :D

joseph

That is what everyone tells me, but I originally sighted in at 200 yds. at the elevation here which is about 800 feet. When I sighted in in Wyoming at an elevation of about 4,000 feet I could not tell the difference in my zero at 200 yards. Then when I went to the 2,000 yd range. Out there I was able to hit the gongs by turning the turret to the yardage and hit the gongs all the way out to 1,200 yards.

Now let me make it clear that I just didn't lay down and hit the targets one after the other. The two guys in the picture were calling the wind for me and some times I would hit, but most of the time I did not. The wind was the determining factor not the elevation of the turret. That was perfectly clear to all that was there. They had a 3" gong at 700 yds that I hit 3 out of 5 shots. :D My rifle was shooting so good with the Viper PST that they all retired their rifles and only shot mine so they could hit the gongs too.
and they were shooting monster calibers. :D

joseph

I'm glad it worked for you! You probably had much cooler temps in Wy. and/or lower atmospheric pressure than at home, considering the elev.......Rich

I'm glad it worked for you! You probably had much cooler temps in Wy. and/or lower atmospheric pressure than at home, considering the elev.......Rich

The temperature when I got my drop numbers here in northern Georgia was in the low 90s which was the same when I was in Wyoming. I think they were having a record high. Anyway I can not explain why nothing changed from Georgia and Wyoming.

joseph

Just a thought. Maybe my bullets were kept in a colder temperature when in Wyoming. I know that they were in the sun for a long time when shooting here in Georgia.

joseph

I use a piece of white tape wrapped around my turret with my yardages written with a sharpie. If I tinker with my load a little, new piece of tape. Takes a bout fifteen minutes to get the tape cut to fit nicely and get marked out. I know this might be a little hokey for some, but you can try it for free and see if you want to go ahead and order turrets. I use a different color sharpie for the second revolution it is really quite simple to dial in. My scopes with mildots and taller turrets even have my wind hold for 10mph at the top, similar to the huskemaw set up. This has worked so well for me that I haven't bothered to order the kenton ones. If you don't use turret caps this might not be a good way to go, but with caps the tape will last at least a couple years.

I use a piece of white tape wrapped around my turret with my yardages written with a sharpie. If I tinker with my load a little, new piece of tape. Takes a bout fifteen minutes to get the tape cut to fit nicely and get marked out. I know this might be a little hokey for some, but you can try it for free and see if you want to go ahead and order turrets. I use a different color sharpie for the second revolution it is really quite simple to dial in. My scopes with mildots and taller turrets even have my wind hold for 10mph at the top, similar to the huskemaw set up. This has worked so well for me that I haven't bothered to order the kenton ones. If you don't use turret caps this might not be a good way to go, but with caps the tape will last at least a couple years.

Great suggestion!
I think I'm going to try that before getting custom turrets.

Old thread but anyway... What I do is as follows:

• Put masking tape around it
  • Shoot at as many yardages out to your max as possible
  • Mark them on the tape
  • Go into "the field" with a good rangefinder and range/shoot rocks at various yardages to 2x check what have you or take targets with you. (lots of walking that way)
  • Once gtg, tape over masking tape with transparent tape.
  • If you tire of the rather "homemade" look, send the knob in to be engraved!
BTW... lots of people talk about needing different turrets for different elevations, barometric presures, etc... not so. Using a fine program like JBM, figure out the differences for these and test them. Most of the time, just a few clicks up or down on the zero will accomodate the changes out to max range. Really.
Range card comeups are good too, but slow compared to either a calibrated reticle or yardage- marked knobs.

Blake

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.