Kenton Industries Custom Turrets

Firecat

Have any of you used the Custom Turrets made by Kenton Industries? If so what scope did you use them on and what was your experience? The concept seems to intriguing to me. With both Best of the west and Grey Bull Precision offering these scopes Which are more than likely worth what they are asking for them considering what you get. I thought I would research all options a bit. Thanks

Have any of you used the Custom Turrets made by Kenton Industries? If so what scope did you use them on and what was your experience? The concept seems to intriguing to me. With both Best of the west and Grey Bull Precision offering these scopes Which are more than likely worth what they are asking for them considering what you get. I thought I would research all options a bit. Thanks

I have Kenton turrets on my Zeiss Conquest 6.5-20x50. They work perfectly as long as you give them good data. The best approach is to carefully test your load, rifle and scope at the longest ranges you will shoot and give them the data. You can't go wrong if you do this since they are merely scribing the numbers into the turrets that YOU provided. If you get a canned version from Kenton, you are trusting someone elses data to work perfectly in your rifle. (bullet manufacturer, scope manufacturer and even individual rifle differences. Once you get the setup, be sure to chronograph your loads carefully and compensate for all the conditions involved in the field. There is nothing magic about the scopes offered from the above mentioned in your post, they just do the work for you. The nice thing about Kenton is the fact that you can use the scope of your choice as long as they have compatible turrets. I like the Zeiss because they have 18 minutes of adjustment per rotation and a good deal of vertical adjustment, besides being a quality scope......Rich

I have one on a BSA for my 22-250 and its works fine as long as I shoot around the same temp, altitude, bp as the turret is made for, its to many varibles for me and dont want 4 or 4 of them to change for the conditions, now I am going to the calc on a pda and doing moa corrections, much more accurate to me, the turrents are just like the ballistic reticles, they work well for the conditions they are calibrated for

I have had Kenton turret cap on a Nightforce scope for 5 (?) years and really like it.

I have ordered two of them. One for a burris, and one for a Leupold VXIII. I like them, and typically hunt in the same conditions all of the time. I also agree with elkaholic that YOU must provide them the data. I always use the form where I place the yardage and moa mark. I also use a PDA, and Kestral. If I have time, I will plug everything in, and get an actual wind reading, and set both dials. It seems that out to about 750-800 yards the elevation is almost always within 1 click. Beyond about 750, I would be much more inclined to use the PDA for every shot. I had the last turret made with the actual MOA marks at the bottom of the turret, and the next two rows in yardages. Works well for me, and I can take the easy way out, or us the pda/moa marks if I want.

aroshtr

Hi everyone, just reading this post and it brings up a question about the info being submitted to Kenton Ind.

May seem like a stupid question but....

Do you just provide the major yardage increments ie 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 etc and they calculate the inbetween hash marks

Or do you have to provide EVERY increment marked on the turret ie 100, 125, 150, 175, 200, 225, 250. If the turret you select indeed has those hash marks on it?

I just got my Zeiss 6.5-20x50 and am in the process of deciding on one of two loads for my rifle and compiling the required information to get a turret made up.

Thanks for any assistance

Brambles

Hi everyone, just reading this post and it brings up a question about the info being submitted to Kenton Ind.

May seem like a stupid question but....

Do you just provide the major yardage increments ie 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 etc and they calculate the inbetween hash marks

Or do you have to provide EVERY increment marked on the turret ie 100, 125, 150, 175, 200, 225, 250. If the turret you select indeed has those hash marks on it?

I just got my Zeiss 6.5-20x50 and am in the process of deciding on one of two loads for my rifle and compiling the required information to get a turret made up.

Thanks for any assistance

Brambles
I would focus on the farthest range you are going to shoot and of course your zero range. It is easier for them to project a good curve if you shoot at max range. Obviously, the more intermittent range data the better. You will also need an accurate MV and all the weather and altitude data you can supply on the day you test........Rich

I just ordered one from them 3 days ago for a leupold and I used the method elkaholic is talking about. I zeroed my gun at 100 and went to 917yards and gave them how many minutes elavation and the conditions and they can build it off that info. Im pretty confident on the info I gave them because Iv shot this same distance and setup probably ten different times and with a 20 degree difference the come up has always been the same plus or minus one click.

Last edited:
Ovastafford, Thanks for responding to my post. I am anxious to hear about your field experience once you try your new turrets. Keep us posted.

Firecat

I received my turret in the mail two Fridays ago. I put it on my scope and zeroed my scope at 100 yards and then went to the exact target that I developed my data for in almost the same conditions. Turned the knob to 920 for 917 yards and shot. The bullet landed around 3 moa low. I shot again and again and shot a group around 1 moa all around 3 moa low........???? So then I counted the clicks it took me to get 920 on the knob compared to the 24.5moa I gave them for the knob. According to the knob it only takes me 19.0 moa to get to that range? I then counted clicks up to there to get 24.5 moa and hit dead center. So the knob is off......

I called kenton industries and explained to them my dilemma and they basically told me that the data I gave them must be off. They also said that they normally dont do knobs just off of one set of yardage data. I then asked him how they figured I was 3.5 moa difference from the knob to the data set and he said the conditions i had my knob made for make that much difference. I shot the data at 3,000 65F and had them make the turret for 5,500ft and 45degrees. I know there isnt 3.5 moa difference because I shot the gun in those conditions and was no more than 1 or 2 clicks off.

I then kindly asked if there was any way to fix this problem and was told to zero my knob at 917yards and then just go with that. I then asked " wont all the other yardages be off?" He replied " yeah but just a little."

To me this is unacceptable for long range hunting. When I spent $110 dollars on a target knob I expected it to be dead on and its not. I cant go out and shoot at game with a gun that is "pretty close" at long range, its not fair to the game. I was also very disappointed by the way I was treated. The gentlemen I spoke with was very condescending and talked to me like I didn't know what I was talking about. I'm not trying to bash someone on this forum but I am just giving you my personal experience with them. I personally will never give them my business again or send anyone their way. Anyone who does use them good luck and I hope your experience is better than mine.

Last edited:
Just curious why a custom knob is needed for a one bullet/one gun trajectory, v. installing a plain old knob adjustment and figuring out your own drop chart, taping it to the side of the stock, and referencing it for dial up.

Austin's post is just one more reason I have NOT ordered any custom knobs for any rifle to date because I would be afraid this would happen to me.

So, I'm starting to lean more towards figuring out drop in inches per yardage to target, and calculate come ups, then just tape the sucker to my stock and leave it at that. After a short time, you can memorize your 100 yard come ups I would think, and do a quick reference for anything in between. Especially with a 200 yard zero, I would think this would be ok

Yet, I still like the idea of a knob with all the ACCURATE data on it and just giving a quick spin like they do with Greybull and Huskemaw.

Decisions....

Last edited:
I purchased a set of knobs for a 300 RUM Improved/210 VLD combo.

With a 300 yard zero, 4000'PA, 60 deg temp, it took 14.7 MOA to be zero'd at 1000 yards.

Filled out the custom knob order form, received my knobs...they worked flawlessly for me.

I don't use 100 yard zeros, as 200 and 300 yard zeros have worked better for me when computing drop data at distance.

I received my turret in the mail two Fridays ago. I put it on my scope and zeroed my scope at 100 yards and then went to the exact target that I developed my data for in almost the same conditions. Turned the knob to 920 for 917 yards and shot. The bullet landed around 3 moa low. I shot again and again and shot a group around 1 moa all around 3 moa low........???? So then I counted the clicks it took me to get 920 on the knob compared to the 24.5moa I gave them for the knob. According to the knob it only takes me 19.0 moa to get to that range? I then counted clicks up to there to get 24.5 moa and hit dead center. So the knob is off......

I called kenton industries and explained to them my dilemma and they basically told me that the data I gave them must be off. They also said that they normally dont do knobs just off of one set of yardage data. I then asked him how they figured I was 3.5 moa difference from the knob to the data set and he said the conditions i had my knob made for make that much difference. I shot the data at 3,000 65F and had them make the turret for 5,500ft and 45degrees. I know there isnt 3.5 moa difference because I shot the gun in those conditions and was no more than 1 or 2 clicks off.

I then kindly asked if there was any way to fix this problem and was told to zero my knob at 917yards and then just go with that. I then asked " wont all the other yardages be off?" He replied " yeah but just a little."

To me this is unacceptable for long range hunting. When I spent $110 dollars on a target knob I expected it to be dead on and its not. I cant go out and shoot at game with a gun that is "pretty close" at long range, its not fair to the game. I was also very disappointed by the way I was treated. The gentlemen I spoke with was very condescending and talked to me like I didn't know what I was talking about. I'm not trying to bash someone on this forum but I am just giving you my personal experience with them. I personally will never give them my business again or send anyone their way. Anyone who does use them good luck and I hope your experience is better than mine.

I just ran the numbers using a .570 b.c. and 3000 fps and came up with 1/2 min less at 920 yds. I would be a little ticked as well........Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.